10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 2:19 AM by nightc2win

Crash since Crimson 16.6

catacol

Since Crimson 16.6 came out Strategic Command wont work. Crashes. Error message reads FAILED(Initiate_national_tile_surface) 0x80070057

I can roll back to the driver installation from March and all is fine.... but it is irritating. Is there any fix for this error?

• Re: Crash since Crimson 16.6
          amdpete

There are sevaral games in that series going way back to 2002 so you would have to be more specific.

catacol

Actually the last driver that worked was 16.3.2.

2 games I play - Strategic Command Breakthrough and Strategic Command: Assault on Democracy. Both have the same crash message with drivers past 16.3.2.

My card is a R9 200. I have another machine with an earlier Radeon card in it - 7800 I think - and no crashes on that one with the drivers up to date on it.

Thoughts?

nightc2win

I have the same problem... I JUST bought a new RX480 and downloaded the latest drivers, and now I get this message:

FAILED(initialize_national_tile_surface): 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.

I LOVE strategic command and I would hate to think I can't play it anymore because I bought a newer better graphics card!! I mean.. SC doesn't even HAVE any graphics a MOBO could run it!~

nightc2win

FAILED(initialize_national_tile_surface): 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.

Strategic Command World War 1  and the Breakthrough! expansion pack, both games are up to the latest patches, 1.08 and 1.05,  and my drivers for AMD are the latest. never happened before, I have played this game for months and other SC games for years and year... with my old AMD card.

warpfact0r10

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Please provide system info as listed in the link. Thanks.

nightc2win
                      • AMD Graphics Card
                        • RX480

Desktop or Laptop System

• Desktop

Operating System

• Windows 10 64bit
                      • Driver version installed
                        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.1
                      • Display Devices
                        • Samsung S32E590C HDMI 60 hz
                      • Motherboard
                        • Asus P7P55D-E Pro
                      • CPU/APU
                      • Intel i5 760 2.8 Ghz quad core
                      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                      • Corsair GS700 700 Watt
                      • RAM
                      • 8GB Gskill
                          warpfact0r10

Is your installation of Win10 an upgrade? and do you have the Anniversary update applied?

If it is only that game, it might be worth uninstalling/reinstalling it.

nightc2win

I am assuming you meant "an" upgrade, and yes it was an upgrade from windows 7. As for the Anniversary update, I am not 100% sure what that means, but I know I always install the latest updates when they pop up. In any event, I went into system and manually clicked the check for updates button just now and it says my device is up to date, so I am assuming that yes I have the very latest Win10 updates.

As for the uninstall/reinstall, I am assuming you mean the game not windows, and yes I have tried that twice, including fresh install and fresh patching both the game and expansion up to the latest patches. I am in contact with the game developer on their forum, and they are claiming AMD has to release an update to the drivers to the best of their knowledge, although the main developer Hubert Carter does not seem to have looked it at. If you are interested here is the link, a few posts down an admin from the developer claims it is an AMD issue and that AMD can take "up to 6 months to fix" and some other comments:

Error running SC WW1 Breakthrough with new drivers.. no response otherwise - General Discussion Forum - Battlefront.com …

I also found another guy on their forums that had the same issue with new AMD drivers causing the same exact error, but he got little response from the dev.

I do thank you for your time trying to help me. I have always been very satisfied with AMD GPUs and I am happy with my RX480 otherwise.

warpfact0r10

I suspect that this one is driver-related and AMD will likely have to address it, or the developer will have to issue a patch. Technology changes- it is not static. I have to imagine the developer understands this. Sorry I'm not able to assist further.

nightc2win

Yes this is all quite disappointing.. Here I am all excited to get my 480 and play some higher end games with nice graphics... and low and behold it ruins my favorite simple game :X

The developer is blaming AMD, AMD hasn't responded to my feedback regarding the issue.. so I am at a loss as to what to do