6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 12:23 AM by sodapop554

HD 6450 Still Unstable

sodapop554

I offer my apologizes in advance if this topic is getting repetitive, believe me this isn't the only place I've asked about this multiple times over the years. I've tried performing total clean installs using DDU utility. Even used the Crimson Beta along with just installing the last WHQL certified drivers by them self without the Catalyst Software Suite. None of this has worked, my Radeon HD 6450 1GB still locks up resulting in a BSOD. The past 5 or so times this has occurred have all been in the same place of RuneScape. An area with multiple objects containing a type of bloom (even though I have it turned off). My warranties have expired so exercising that is out of the question. I could afford a new low-end card but I fear risk of detonation from my TurboLink 500W. Although that I'm aware it hasn't caused a problem yet, I've heard that cheap PSU's are prone to have massive power fluxuations among other issues. Finally, I can't afford a whole system overhaul right now but I do plan & will be able to build a new PC this coming Winter after Zen is released.

1: Being that these crashes only usually occur once a month or 2, is it safe to assume that this is a low level issue & can ignored for the next 4 months?

2: If 1 is true or even if it's not, should I re-install the latest WHQL driver again, with or without Catalyst or go back to Crimson?

3: If 2 is true, is there any advanced way I can tune the driver settings to be the most stable other than the Performance, Balance & Best Quality profiles?

4: I've tried updating my ASUS M4N68T-V2 BIOS before but it wouldn't recognize my flash drive via the EZflash utility, any suggestions?

• Re: HD 6450 Still Unstable
          black_zion

Is your flash drive formatted in FAT32?

sodapop554

Yup, just now double checked but on an few additional notes. While my PC is normally on, plugging the USB drive into the front ports takes about a minute or 2 for it to register. I haven't tried the rear ones yet as they're too hard to access while my mouse & keyboard are occupying nearby ones. I have reformatted this USB several times before so it's 3.71 GB instead of 4. I know to some degree my BIOS did recognize the flash drive because under the boot options itself there it was. It's just for some odd reason the EZ flash utility wasn't finding the BIOS update file. Could this of been because I followed these instructions & they're wrong for mine in particular? Quick Tip #15 - Updating the BIOS - YouTube

black_zion

ASUS boards, for whatever reason seem to be picky about USB drives and EZFlash. My Corsair and Lexar drives work, but Sandisk and Kingston don't. I'd try a different brand.

sodapop554

Mines a 4GB Patriot Xporter XT & I can't afford a new one. According to the manual there's a way to update the BIOS via an OS based utility that comes on the CD. Unfortunately no where does is it say that it'll force me to then re-install windows which I've heard some BIOS updating methods can result in. Additionally, I've looked through all the BIOS updates for my board & none of them address an issue with the GPU or PCI-E. Since there were a couple years there in separate instances with different HD 6450 drivers. Where it went crash free; am I right in assuming it's an issue with the latest WHQL & Crimson Beta drivers & not the card itself or my Motherboard? If so would under clocking my GPU core & mem; 50, 100 or more Mhz from the stock voltage help with stability?