5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 10:37 PM by oeai

atikmdag.sys BSOD under Windows 10

artanis

Hi everyone!

I had a major problem earlier with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The day before it got installed everything worked fine, but when it was applied I couldn't use my start menu and any other applications.

Because of this update I had to Reset my PC which is a Lenovo G505s.

After Resetting all my apps were gone from C:\ but everything worked perfectly.

The other day when I booted up my PC I first encountered with the atikmdag.sys BSOD on startup.

I went back to a Restore Point I made after Resetting.

Everything worked again then later the same issue happened after watching a video.

Later I uninstalled all AMD drivers and Catalyst too in safe mode the re-installed them in normal mode with the auto-detect software.

The current version is Catalyst 15.7.1 for me. This is what the auto-detect software installed.

After all these I didn't have any problem on startup. But later it happened again when I was playing a video game then it was a sudden black screen followed by the BSOD with the same atikmdag.sys error.

Here are my system specifications:

CPU: AMD A8-4500M @ 1900MHz

VGA: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7640G DDR3 SDRAM (768MB)ATI/AMD Radeon HD 8500M SDRAM (2048MB)

MOTHERBOARD: AMD A76M (Bolton-M3)

Thank you for reading through, I tried to write as detailed as possible.

Also sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.

• Re: atikmdag.sys BSOD under Windows 10
          amdmatt

I would try a system clean up and a fresh installation of our latest driver. If this does not resolve the issue, then you might need to try a clean installation of Windows. I will list some troubleshooting steps which will hopefully prevent the need for this.

Run the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Check (SFC) tools as Administrator. The DISM and SFC tools scan the integrity of the Windows image and all protected system files replaces corrupted, damaged and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run the DISM command do the following:

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter:Note: While running DISM you will notice the process will pause at 20%. After a few minutes the operation will complete successfully. To run the SFC command, please refer to this Microsoft knowledge base article

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter:

For more information on using SFC on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, please refer to this Microsoft KB:

AMD driver software package requires the latest updates for Microsoft Net Framework and Windows to be installed. Please run Windows Update and install all available critical and recommended updates. In order to minimise the risk of installation errors, Windows should be fully updated before installing AMD driver software package.

Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

Install the latest compatible Crimson 16.2.1 drivers for your system once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: atikmdag.sys BSOD under Windows 10
              artanis

Even though I got a BSOD with atikmdag.sys while installing the latest crimson driver for my system, on the next try everything went well and today I could boot into normal mode without any trouble.

Just to help anyone out there I did the two system scans @amdmatt suggested, but in my case it didn't find any errors.

Then I uninstalled the AMD Catalyst Install Manager first then used Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to get rid of all the drivers.

Then I booted back to Normal mode and installed the proper driver for my sytem that @amdmatt linked in his reply and installed it.

Now everything seems to work fine, no more atikmdag.sys BSOD so far.

So, thank you so much for your help @amdmatt. I was getting a little bit frustrated because I tried everything but when I thought I fixed it I experienced the same problem.

Also, I thought my graphics cards are not supported by Crimson Software so thank you for the link.

Just want to say thank you again and have a nice day!

~Roland

1 of 1 people found this helpful