4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 5:57 AM by ozone71

No Man's Sky issues since upgrading to Crimson 16.8.2 from 16.7.3

apickle

Hey guys.

I just got No Man's Sky, and it's addictive and wonderful and I love it.  I hope they can get their graphics bugs fixed so that more users can enjoy the game, or it should be explained why it is technically un-feasible to bring support to folks toting HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx cards - seems like older Nvidia cards are supported, so hopefully the red team can help their customers who go back just as far.

In any case, I was eager to try out the new Crimson 16.8.2 Beta drivers over my Crimson 16.7.3 (stable?) set, entirely because of the alleged No Man's Sky support.  While 16.7.3 was certainly playable, I found that a LOT of the time I was limited 30 FPS (despite bumping my FPS limit to 60 FPS in the in-game options) and it would dip to the low- to mid-20's while playing.  It didn't do this often, and the dips were usually short, but did somewhat take from the experience of the game, so I was looking forward to an update that would rectify these issues.

Well, I installed 16.8.2 and the game is basically unplayable.  Additionally, it seems not to have "taken" my settings - I definitely get higher framerates, but I also get some massively long stuttering frequently enough to seriously detract from the experience, and I'm getting mad tearing on my screen, despite vsync being enabled.  This, uh, is not an improvement.  It is worse.  You guys should fix (sorry, you probably get tired of hearing this).  I'll do some more testing to see if I can't be of some assistance towards you guys solving the problem.  It looks like there's an updated BIOS, I'm going to get that, and try the old driver.
      Hardware Specifications
      Software Versions
      ASUS B85M-E/CSM (BIOS 2304)Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0.14393)
      Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00 GHz (stock)Intel Chipset Drivers 10.1.1.14, Intel Rapid Storage Technology 14.5.0.1042
      AMD Radeon R9 290XAMD Crimson 16.8.2
      16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
        • Re: No Man's Sky issues since upgrading to Crimson 16.8.2 from 16.7.3
          frakistan

Hey man this helped alot of players ,do this

• Go to : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS 
                 (Or basically, [any folder where you installed NMS]\Binaries\SETTINGS) [*] 
          • Find the file "TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML" and open it with any text editor.
          • You will then search for the "GSync" option. It's "true" by default, change it to "false".

You will gain very good  FPS

tiptonix

I am having the exact same issue. The screen tearing is impossible to get rid of no matter what I do. Also have been having flickering in certain places since installing the newest drivers.

ozone71

Similar here.

Seems to run ok, but horrible flickering when I talk to an alien or review carried items when in a station. This only started happening after the upgrade.

Checked G-Sync - it's FALSE

Radeon Software Version - 16.8.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series

Memory Size - 3072 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1000 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 32 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz

ozone71

So I deleted the AMD drivers, rebooted my PC, reinstalled 16.7.3 ... and the flickering is still there.

So it seems that the flicking issue has been around for a few driver versions (my update to 16.8.2 was a big jump .. maybe a year out of date)

I also ran some tests (16.7.3).

The flicking only occurs in a station, and only when there is an overlay (like looking at inventory, or trading).

Overlays on the planet, in space, or inside your space ship (even when the ship is also inside the station) does not cause the problem.