1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 1:34 PM by nibiru

Having trouble with MSI Rx 470, i think?

nibiru

Asus M51ad- Tower  

Asus H81M-E/M51AD/DP_M8 -Mobo       

Intel i7 4790s- Cpu

Msi Rx 470  4gb- Gpu

Evga 550 W1, 80+ White 500w- PSU

12g Ram

Ms 10- Os

Im a pc noob so I'm not sure if whats happening is normal and im just not used to it or if theres a problem somwhere.

I bought a Msi rx 470 to put in my stock case along with a 500w Psu. Installed both no problems , uninstalled old Nvida drivers and installed the latest AMD driver (multiple times), So now im ready to test them out, and see  what pc gaming is all about.

After a restart i notice it taking a little longer to boot , and the pc felt a little slower in general ,but i figured another reboot later would resolve that. I start up WOrld of warcraft, and that was taking longer to load, i get in game and FPS were up ,but i was getting like stutters or slight lag every few seconds and it wasn't my ping.

I'm new to the whole pc gaming so did some amateur troubleshooting by loading up MSI Afterburner and running the Titan of the lakes stress test at 1080p fullscreen like i used to do with my previous gpu (gtx 750 1g) and notice a few things. The power bar at the bottom would fluctuate a lot from like 100 to 1 then back to 100 then to 40 etc, and my old card would just sit at 100 for the test. While at idle my core clock would jump around a bit from 300 to 1k and all in between.

I felt like my card might have been getting hot to fast, just browsing the web or typing this im sitting at around 52C but once i load World of warcraft after about 10 mins of gaming fans are at 80 percent and temp is 72C. I'm new to pc upgrades, and this is the biggest card i ever owned so idk if that's normal. The fans get loud and i can't see gaming for hours on end with them 80 percent or higher , but thats why im here asking questions.

My concerns are my core clock jumping around, pc games with stutter, lag, pc is slower from boot up to everything else and in MSI afterburner the power meter jumps around a lot during stress test and I feel the cards getting to hot to quick. The case insn't super roomy but its not to tight imo, and i did a good job cleaning it out b4 installing new equipment.

I haven't been gamin since I installed the equipment Saturday cause i don't want to make anything worse or i might just be being worried for no reason but my pc is slower now with the new gpu so theres gotta be something going on.

Anyone with any help or advice i will appreciate it.

• Re: Having trouble with MSI Rx 470, i think?
          nibiru

Update. I seem to have fixed the slowness problem by uninstalling the drivers, and reinstalling them also removing all the MSI stuff that came on a disk like WTFast, Msi gaming app and Msi updater. After I installed those my pc seems to be running better with boot up, games etc. I have installed and uninstalled the amd drivers multiple times so i think the MSI programs were slowing me down.

I still have concerns with the heat issue after 10 mins of gaming get to about 71C and fans are 80 percent an fairly loud so i just stop gaming, idk if thats normal for this kind of gpu or not

My Core clock and mem clock still spike up and down with nothing running just watching Wattman or gpuz. Don't know if that is supposed to happen or not.

When i do stress tests on MSIKombustor the power bar at the bottom still jumps around from 100 to 0 every few seconds, but i don't seem to lose FPS when that happens

Those are my main concerns, if it's a problem with the GPU i want to return it asap. If everything sounds fairly normal ill live with the high fan speed noise that im not used to. Or maybe one of my other components are messing it up idk. PSU is new and a decent brand i thought , my i7 isn't a monster but i feel should be up to the task and 12gb ram should be sufficient. Only other thing is my mobo maybe? Did some research and ppl say that a mother board doesn't really bottleneck but idk.

After writing this I was messing around more with MSIKombustor with gpuz open. My Gpu Load goes from 100 to 80 to 100 to 50 to 100, stays at 100 majority but jumps around a fair amount. My GPU power draw Also fluctuates a lot, from 134watts to lower, higher and so on during Stress test. Maybe those things are normal but like i said with my other card the GPU Load stayed at 100 during the test, and i don't know what my watts did with the other card.

Downloaded Hwinfo and this is what i got, what i have highlighted the PCIe keeps fluctuating rapidly between 2.5bg and 5.0gbs and the clock meters on the right fluctuate to a lot, any ideas?