1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 7:45 AM by amdmatt

HD 7870 freeze everytime

codexllll

Hi guys,

since a few days I have a strange problem. My graphics card freeze the hole pc. First I want to install the windows 10 anniversary update and it get stuck at the amd driver. Then I try so manualy install the newest driver. Since then I got huge problems. After the first try to install the driver, my pc freeze. Then i deleted the driver with the amd utility. After it completed it, the pc freeze. Hmm. Then I try to install the new driver. It get stuck and then I tried a few options.

The current state:

- In my device manager at graphics card there is no AMD Graphic card anymore. If I search for hardware in my device manager my pc freeze.

- When I try to install the newest driver (it works somehow now) it completed the hole progress. After closing the installation software a few seconds later, my pc freeze again.

I have no idea what I can do next. The graphic card is running and worked more than two years without a problem. Can anyone help me?

Sorry for my bad english

• Re: HD 7870 freeze everytime
          amdmatt

I would recommend trying a clean installation to see if that stops the freezing. If it continues, we'll look at other possibilities.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.8.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.