5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 6:05 PM by warsun

Wrong AMD FX-9590 CPU information ?

ferni55

Dear Reds,

I think Windows Task Manager shows wrong AMD FX-9590 CPU information.

When you run Task Manager, at CPU tab you can see specs of the CPU.

It shows;

Cores: 4

Logical processors: 8

What 4 ? Why ?

It supposed to show 8 for Cores too..

I don't know if this makes affect on Windows operating system performance but It is not pretty to show cores as 4. Its a wrong information by looking at AMD website as there shows # of CPU Cores: 8 & # of Threads: 8. This is what users and fans knows.

CPU-Z also shows Cores 8: Threads: 8 too...

Maybe it is affecting performance ? Why not ?

Please tell Microsoft to correct that information. It may create environment for bugs and performance issues.

PS: You might came with FX-9s are actually 4 cores, ok but why Windows Task Manager would not show the same as AMD website, AIDA64, CPU-Z ?

• Re: Wrong AMD FX-9590 CPU information ?
          visualnt

No, both info is right. My FX4350 was detected as dual-core too . I won't mention formal definition, (because I forgot it ), but, FX9590 is a set (bunch) of four dual-core modules. According to cache scheme, each of 8 cores has its own L1-Data cache, but L1-Instruction and L2 cache is split to 4 parts - and each such pair has it's own 64KB of L1I cache and 2MB of L2 cache. And there is one big 8M L3 cache, which is shared between all 8 cores.

So, really its cache scheme is: (4x64KB)L1D  + (8x16KB)L1I + (4x2MB)L2 + 8M L3.

And some programs count processing modules (cores with shared cache), others count ALU's (Arithmetic Logic Unit, the main processing part of CPU). You have 8 ALU's, which are split into 4 processing modules. Each ALU has it's own L1I cache. And each of that 2-ALU modules has its own L1D cahce and its own L2 cahce (other cores can't use it). And L3 cache is shared between all cores.

For example, if one core needs 3MB of L2 cache (really, I can't imagine an ordinary situation where the core has take such amounts of cache), when other modules use only a few KB's, it will divide its work into two steps, simply describing as: first it'll work with 2MB, send the results into RAM, then work with other 1MB and combine the results with results in RAM. But Big shared L3 cahce is very interesting thing: if you use Single-thread application, which use large amounts of L3 cache, it'll work faster, than if each core has its own small amount of L3 cache.

So, everything is OK . You have real 8 cores, real Octa-core processor.

UPD: This is not very important information for ordinary desktop PC user. This information is important for developers and very important for Software and Hardware Architects.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            black_zion

The FX-9000 series has 4 Piledriver modules each composed of 2 integer processors and 1 floating point processor.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                warsun

I see this was not mention but the modules listing only works this way BECAUSE of windows.Windows only works that way.Microsoft said they would address the use of 8 or more cores.They did.But they did not address the information of actual cores as new processors come out.So its going to use the old listing.Even if it has more cores an just say. Duh 4 cores.Daaayiiiaaa an 8 processors.So waiting for that new OS that addressed that.