17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 6:34 PM by Earnhardt

FX 9370 Overheating

strikerloki

I have run this FX 9370 processor for a long time, and previously had issues about a year ago, but have not in a long time.  The processor continually over heats when running games.  I have adjusted the fan speeds but it only slows the inevitable.  Please any suggestions would be great.

• Re:  FX 9370 Overheating
          black_zion

What is your liquid cooler?

techguy

The FX-9000 series CPUs are 220w models and require a premium 220w capable HSF, a minimum 650w / 54 amps minimum on the 12v rail PSU, 220w approved mobo and additional VRM cooling for stability and to prevent the CPU/VRM from overheating and throttling the CPU frequency. Obviously with a 220w CPU you need almost twice the cooling capacity of a std. 125w FX CPU. The case must also have good airflow thru it to cool the CPU and GPU card.

IME the top 7 HSFs on the FrostyTech.com website provide more than 220W of cooling and are currently being used by many people with FX-9000 CPUs without any overheating issues. There is a thread in this forum specifically on FX-9590 CPUs with proper HSFs. With a HSF you don't introduce the water leak liability that all liquid coolers suffer and the resulting damage to PC hardware that occurs when they leak coolant. If you scroll down to the AMD Top 10 HSFs, any of the top 7 models have proven capable of cooling a standard FX-9590 CPU.

Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                  techguy

There is absolutely NO data that supports the belief that liquid coolers are "as safe as air coolers" due to the reality that liquid coolers by their nature contain liquids that can and do cause hardware damage when they leak. We know that liquid coolers leak because of firsthand reports by owners of liquid coolers. We know the cooler leaks cause damage PC hardware or worse because owners of leaking liquid coolers have documented this with photos of damage hardware. HSFs do not contain liquids that can damage PC hardware as liquid coolers can and do. It's not an opinion but a documented fact that liquid coolers leak and that all liquid coolers have a coolant leak liability that has bitten many PC enthusiast. That is precisely why it's prudent to NOT use a liquid cooler as it introduces a serious liability that is unnecessary. There is no AMD consumer CPU that requires liquid cooling as previously reported in several FX-9590 and other forum threads.

All PC users are free to use whatever CPU cooler makes them happy. It's important however to perform due diligence before installing a serious PC liability into your computer as not only PC hardware can be damaged, but fires can result from liquids getting on/in to the hardware or PSU. That is a very serious liability that simply does not exist with a HSF.

qbtheslayer

Also if you are going to post this list...  please post lists to sites where you can actually buy these.  Most of the Tower HSF on this list are very hard to find for most users, plus most are very expensive.

QB

techguy

PC hardware is sold by the manufacturers as they desire to distributors around the world. As such there is no means to define what products are available at any given time other than by contacting local sources or the product manufacturer for specifics. Products that are/were available in the U.S. may be discontinued or superseded but these products may still be available in other countries such as the Aegir SD128264. Anyone looking for a specific product will be able to find a source willing to supply it to them if the manufacturer still produces the product and doesn't restrict sales geographically.

BTW, as previously listed high quality tower HSFs are typically 60-70% the cost of an equally performing liquid AIO/CLC cooler and HSFs don't introduce a coolant leak liability that all liquid coolers exhibit. A $39.95 (Newegg), Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO provides some of the best value around and provides excellent cooling for any 125w CPU equaling or exceeding many AIO/CLC coolers costing far more. That is why they sell so many of the Hyper 212 series HSFs. It may not be good enough for 220w CPUs but it's a great value and very reliable.

qbtheslayer

Yeah...  that's one Tower HSF, not on that list mind you (but close enough)...  and everyone knows that ONE...  post some links and prices of the others please.

And just to clarify that list for anyone else reading this, there is 6 Liquid All-in-Ones at the top that just destroy the best Tower HSF's and another 8 scattered throughout the top 8 listed.

QB

techguy

No one here is obligated to provide anyone with specific information that they desire because some folks are upset that liquid coolers are a liability for PCs. The top seven AMD HSFs listed on FrostyTech are known to provide proper cooling for any AMD FX 9000 series CPU or lower power consumer CPU/APU. FrostyTech does not test every HSF available and as such there are sure to be other quality tower style HSF that provide proper cooling to accommodate the needs of all AMD FX CPUs. Availability of PC hardware is governed by the sales and marketing desires of the manufacturer.

Here are the some technical reasons why a liquid cooler is an irrefutable liability and a technically poor choice when used in any PC:

1. Liquid coolers by design contain liquids that can and do leak causing damage to mobos, GPU cards, PSUs, HDDs, SSDs, etc.

2. Liquid coolers are documented to leak by the owners of these coolers many of whom have experience as many as three or more liquid coolers that all leaked or failed per the threads in the Corsair forums

3. While the coolant leak liability of a liquid cooler may be the most serious liability, it is not the only liability as water pumps are known to fail as well on liquid coolers

4. Virtually every consumer based PC mobo is designed for use with a Heatsink/fan (HSF), which provides cooling to the VRM circuit/heatsink - where as a water block/liquid cooler does not - resulting in the VRM running excessively hot which can result in throttling of the CPU

5. Mobo makers and AMD specifically advise that additional VRM cooling is required when using a liquid cooler to prevent damage to the mobo/VRM circuit from overheating

6. Liquid coolers typically cost 30%-50% more than an equal performing HSF which can never leak coolant to damage PC hardware

7. Since there is no consumer level AMD CPU that requires a liquid cooler for proper cooling, using a liquid cooler automatically introduces a very real and unnecessary liability to a PC

8. PC hardware forums all over the Net have firsthand reports of liquid coolers leaking which substantiates the coolant leak liability is very real

Every time I point out in this forum the obvious shortcomings and liabilities of AIO / CLS liquid coolers, a few folks get upset because they are unable to accept the reality that liquid coolers are technically a very poor and unnecessary CPU cooling choice. My purpose for posting in this forum as well as online engineering forums is to help people learn how to help themselves and not be misled by advertising hype and misinformation posted as accurate when it is not. A perfect example is the false claim that liquid coolers "are as safe as HSFs" when there are not. Apparently some folks do not understand why liquid coolers are not as safe as HSFs so I explained why liquid coolers are not as safe.

Posting false information is a disservice to PC enthusiasts looking for reliable, accurate technical information to improve their PC experience. By performing due diligence PC enthusiasts can learn the truth about PC hardware so they don't end up experiencing very painful results when the hardware fails or causes problems. The bottom line is consumers are free to use whatever CPU cooler makes them happy. It is however useful to do your homework so as not to get duped by advertising hype and false claims by enthusiasts.

qbtheslayer

It's not about me or anything I need or want...  you post a list of coolers YOU think people should buy, but you fail to back that list up with anything real world in terms of availability, pricing and vendors  So that list of coolers is truly meaningless if no one can find one to buy.  I'm just really curious, I would like to compare.  And who knows, maybe you are right and my computer is going to be destroyed by my liquid cooler.  At that point I would certainly be looking for a tower HSF, but you continue to fail at even the simplest request to prove that these top coolers are indeed available and are indeed vastly cheaper than a liquid AIO.

Oh and I just noticed this:

"Posting false information is a disservice to PC enthusiasts looking for reliable, accurate technical information to improve their PC experience"

Well your point #6 is certainly false information:

6. Liquid coolers typically cost 30%-50% more than an equal performing HSF which can never leak coolant to damage PC hardware

So to sum up, you are the only one misleading people...  unless you can provide some proof other than the ONE posted above (everyone knows that ONE, and I have even recommended it in the past, it's really good)

QB

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      techguy

Several people here are upset because I have exposed the very real coolant leak liability that exist with ALL liquid coolers. The upset people have been promoting AIO/CLC coolers for years despite the fact that they cost more and are inferior to an equivalent HSF that never leaks coolant to damage PC hardware, as routinely happens with liquid coolers or all types.

Unlike liquid cooler fans I am NOT here trying to convince people to buy any specific CPU cooler. I am exposing the liabilities and shortcomings of AIO/CLC coolers and providing a reliable source of tested HSFs that will cool ALL AMD CPUs properly as confirmed by those of us actually using these HSFs on 8-core FX processors consuming 220w or more. The top 7 HSFs listed at FrostyTech have been proven to be able to properly cool the 220w FX-9000 series CPUs which require almost twice the cooling of the std. 125w AMD FX model CPUs.

By your own admission at least one of the top 7 HSFs listed on FrostyTech is currently available in the U.S. I know for a fact that other HSFs in the top 7 are also available in different markets from the U.S. A CPU only needs one cooler so any HSF that can cool an AMD CPU properly is all that is needed. I don't have any obligation to source HSFs for people in forums. That is the enthusiast's responsibility as different PC hardware is available in different geographic areas of the world. There are HSFs sold in other countries that we do not have an opportunity to purchase from U.S. vendors so the onus is on the consumer to decide what CPU cooler works for them. I don't even care if someone decides to purchase an AIO / CLC - because it's their money and their decision. What I do care about is that they are aware of the liabilities of ALL liquid coolers in addition to the thermal deficiency of many AIO / CLCs compared to less expensive HSFs which never leak and never experience seized water pumps.

Contrary to your false claims - I am NOT misleading anyone. You continue to state that I am responsible to prove that the HSFs listed on FrostyTech are available and 30-50% lower priced than equal performing AIO/CLCs - which I have already done in this forum numerous times in the past. The facts have not changed. You refuse to accept that AIO / CLCs are a coolant leak liability, are not as safe as HSFs, have inferior thermal performance on a dollar-for-dollar basis and other major issues such as water pumps that seize, water blocks that provide no cooling for the mobo VRM circuits, etc. It's your choice to believe whatever makes you happy. However recommending inferior, high liability liquid coolers to PC enthusiast when they can buy a less expensive, equal performing HSF that never leaks water and never experiences a water pump seizure, is a genuine disservice. That is precisely why I have spent considerable time exposing the liabilities of CLCs / AIO liquid coolers. Nothing you can say or do is going to change the facts on liquid coolers. Attempts to disparage my comments does not change the facts one bit and doing so illustrates your disingenuous demeanor.

The FACTS are not my opinion, they are established truths regarding liquid coolers. A CPU only requires ONE HSF which you acknowledge IS available in the U.S. More than likely other tower style HSFs that can cool 220w FX-9000 series CPUs are also available but it isn't my responsibility to search for them and post them here to make you happy. FrostyTech does NOT test all CPU coolers available but they properly test CPU coolers and that is why I use them as a reputable source on CPU cooler performance. There are over a hundred HSFs listed on FrostyTech that out-perform the Corsair H60 which has been recommend by people in this forum for years. Most of these HSFs cost less than the H60 cost and are a far better and much safer CPU cooler than any liquid cooler.

As always I strongly recommend that all PC enthusiasts perform due diligence when making PC hardware purchases. That way they have no one to blame if they have a bad experience with an inferior product with liabilities that were undisclosed by the manufacturer or people in forums hyping their favorite hardware.

qbtheslayer

If you want me to stop calling out your misleading posts, just stop posting that list and saying the Tower HSF's are as good at cooling as liquid AIO's.  Clearly your favorite list says they are NOT as effective.  Yes there are a few liquid AIO's that are pretty poor performers, but there are plenty that are stellar (both with cooling and noise levels).  And the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is not on that list, it comes in at 12.8ºC and 47.1dBA on full speed...  27.3ºC on the low setting (not particularly good)....  And this is all at 125W !!!  What do you think it will be like with a FX-9370???  Dream on if you think it can keep pace with a top liquid AIO... it's only rated for 180W.

And the only reason you refuse to post links to vendors of that top 10 AMD (125W) Tower HSF list, is that they are extremely hard to find and most are dis-continued.  I know, I have looked.

I have zero problem with you recommending Tower HSF's (although in the case of 220W CPU's, the person had better have a great case with spectacular air-flow or exceptional Air-Conditioning in the PC environment)...  Just stop saying the Tower HSF's perform as good as liquid AIO's...  and if you can't prove prices, stop saying they are 50% less.

So to sum up, this thread is about a 220W CPU...  It is very hard to find a 220W rated Tower HSF.  So ALL of your posts here do not belong.  Yes there is small risk to a liquid AIO cooler, but AMD recommends it...  that's good enough for me....  feel free to recommend a Tower HSF in the appropriate threads, or at least post a link to one that a person can actually buy.  I am sure they are out there...

QB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              techguy

The following links illustrate once again the false claims regarding the lists of top 7 CPU HSFs listed at FrostyTech designed to cool 220w CPUs.

1. At least three companies on Amazon sell the Noctua NH-D14 HSF for $71-$73 with free shipping - # 7 of the top 7 AMD coolers at FrostyTech

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler: Electronics

2. Phanteks PH-TC14PE - #6 on FrostyTech's top AMD HSF coolers for sale on Amazon for $75 . You can buy up to (99) of these coolers at a time.

Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler-Newegg.com

3. Frio Extreme - a 250w CPU cooler available on Amazon.com for $66.-$72 with free shipping - available from at least three sellers.

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Frio Extreme Universal CPU Cooler with Ultimate Over-Clocking Support of 250W TDP Dual 140mm VR/…

So in conclusion virtually every thing that you have stated about only one of the top AMD HSFs on FrostyTech's list being available is untrue as is your statement that these HSFs are expensive and not 30%-50% cheaper than AIO / CLCs. You ignore the very real liabilities and deficiencies of liquid coolers and try to deceive people about the availability of 220w+ HSFs. You can argue all you want but the FACTS do not change and liquid coolers by their very design have irrefutable coolant leak liabilities, water pump failures and even VRM cooling issues that make AIO / CLCs an unnecessary and poor choice for a CPU cooler. There is NO AMD consumer CPU that requires a liquid cooler. Numerous HSFs are available at low prices to properly cool ALL AMD CPUs including the 220w FX-9000 series CPUs. You fail to understand that the $39.95 Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO was used to illustrate that quality HSFs are available at very low cost for use on 125w CPUs compared to inferior and liability prone AIO /CLCs such as the Corsair H60.

What you chose to use for a CPU cooler is up to you. Don't try to deceive other PC enthusiasts with false claims and denial of established facts because your disingenuous and inaccurate claims will be exposed.

Earnhardt

Here's a good FYI:

Origin PC
                                                Only Watercooling (AMD or Intel)

Digital Storm
                                                other than lowest priced desktop,all others are watercooled

Falcon Northwest
                                                watercooling only

ibuypower
                                                watercooling only

Cyberpower
                                                Both,watercooling only with FX9000 series

Alienware
                                                watercooling only

Xidax
                                                few air(2),the rest is watercooled

Earnhardt

Oh trust me ,I DO understand and will continue to use my "leak free" AIO coolers as well as Air HSF's.

To those reading:

I have used both types of heat sinks,Air and AIO,I have yet in 15 years have had an issue with either,

they both have Pro's and Con's and are a personal preference.

I have built to many custom computers to count,and have had 0 issues with either.

Use what best suits you and your build.

Do your own research,

techguy

Obviously you did NOT understand or you would not have made the false statement above that liquid coolers are "as safe as HSFs" - because they can't be if they contain a liquid. The above disclosures on liquid cooler liabilities and deficiencies can be easily confirmed by anyone willing to invest a little time and effort. FACTs are not opinions. FACTs are established truisms. My hope is that by providing the technical information above on liquid coolers that PC enthusiasts will be able to make a technically informed purchasing decision that meets their needs regarding CPU coolers. The ultimate choice is always that of the PC enthusiast who is spending their money not me or any other forum member.

warsun

Dude.Let me be clear.I have done the same things as you.The issue is with mods an some programs.If you are running fallout 4.That is the single worst program i have ever tried to use.I do not recommend modding that piece of junk.The mod ORDER in which they are install is what is causing your heat.An the heat is NOT your processor.It is your graphics card.No matter what anyone tells you.it is not your processor.That is perpetrated by Intel fanboys claiming AMD processors run hot.Open your case an put your hand on your graphics card.I have a R9 390 it literally burned my hand on touch just running Fallout 4.Due to load order.

It is Nvidia Gameworks titles causing this.They try to force your graphics card to die.Putting the majority of the workload on the processor an NOT the graphics card.PhysX is causing your overheating problem.Sorry to let you know.

Anything on this list will cause overheating Random crashes an if your motherboard is just a bit older.Random system shut downs.If its Fallout 4.You are system locked.NVIDIA GameWorks | GeForce

techguy

Hopefully the accurate and extensive technical information that I have provided in this thread will help you and other AMD users who have FX-9000 series (or any 8-core FX processor), overheating issues be they CPU or VRM overheating issues. The 220w model FX CPUs require that all important areas for mobo design, PSU - especially the 12v rail minimum 54 amps and proper CPU/VRM cooling parameters are met for reliable operation.

There are numerous FX-8000/FX-9000 overheating threads in this forum that address all of the known and common issues associated with cooling issues with the 8-core FX processors. Reading and understanding these recent threads should allow most people to determine what the actual issue is with their PC and how to correct it. Please make use of these existing threads as this forum is designed to help you learn to help yourself by listing the recent threads related to your particular issue.

For those requesting help it's important to read and follow the link below so that we can help you with your system issues.

Read This First