1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 9:05 AM by amdmatt

Black screen after update - rollback not working

crymage

Greetings.

Today I updated my old version of Catalyst in my laptop (I believe it was 13.12) to the new 15.7.1. During the installation of the new driver the screen went black, and it does the same whenever I turn on the laptop, after the initial loading screen with the windows (7 64bit). Plugging an external monitor to the VGA works fine. I've seen this is a (in-)famous problem, but is there any official and reliable solution?

Moreover, rolling back to a previous version (no matter which version) solves the black screen problem, but a lot of different video players do not work due to crashes (e.g. VLC, media player, silverlight, other embedded players, whereas flash player works) and I am experiencing also windows explorer crashes (not the browser, to be clear)

Solving either the black screen (for the new driver) or the system instability (for an older driver) would be really helpful, since I need this laptop for my job.

Please find below my specs, as requested in the relative thread.

• AMD Graphics Card
        • Make and model: ATI mobility radeon HD5470
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Laptop ASUS K52JR
      • Operating System
        • Windows 7 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel I5 M540
      • RAM
        • 4GB
        • Re: Black screen after update - rollback not working
          amdmatt

The HD5xxx series has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

The latest Crimson driver for your system is 16.2.1 and is available here.

The last Catalyst driver for your system is 15.11.1 Beta and is available here.

I would recommend using DDU to sweep your system of AMD drivers, and then trying the drivers above to see if they resolve your issue.