2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 7:27 AM by francotrax

R9 380 2 GB performance issue (primarily GTA V) - driver related

francotrax

PC rig specs:

GPU: XFX Radeon R9 380 2 GB (R9 -380P-2DF5)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz

MBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary, socket 1150

Display: LG 22MP47D-P (connected via VGA), 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

PSU: Fortron Hexa Plus 500 W 80+

RAM: 8 GB memory (2 x 4 GB), DDR3 @ 1866 MHz

Driver version installed (currently): AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 beta

Problem description:

Ever since the Crimson update (9 months ago) every new driver brings more trouble than the previous. I particularly have problems with performance in GTA V with major stuttering and sudden FPS drops. Compared to Catalyst 15.11.1 beta, which seems to be the best driver for R9 380, with other drivers (16.3., 16.6.1, 16.7.3, 16.8.1), FPS drops up to 15 frames in average (see .xlsx table in attachment). I have only documented FPS benchmark data for GTA V, and haven't really tested other games. Crimson 16.8.1 seems to be the worst driver so far. I keep reverting to 15.11.1 because I have no other option. Main problem with 15.11.1 is inability to effectively utilize DirectX 12 in games such as ARK: Survival Evolved and Rise of the Tomb Rider. While Crimson 16.7.2 seems to be best for ROTTR since it boosts up to 5 FPS on average compared to 15.11.1 beta, it is still sluggish for GTA V since it produces much stuttering. In other games stuttering sometimes occurs and I get the impression that the performance is worse about 5%-10% compared to 15.11.1. My main goal is to achieve results of 15.11.1 with some new Crimson driver. Stuttering in GTA V is the main problem. I don't know why every Crimson driver seems to be worse than the 15.11.1. Is it because of some other drivers (chipset, etc.) or is it Crimson related problem? For the black screen issue, common for R9 380, I haven't really ever had it, since after testing I would always revert back to 15.11.1. Please advise if possible.

• Re: R9 380 2 GB performance issue (primarily GTA V) - driver related
          naman

Sounds exactly like the issue I have with American Truck Sim (DX9) and my R9-390.

Going AMD was a terrible mistake.

• Re: R9 380 2 GB performance issue (primarily GTA V) - driver related
            francotrax

MAJOR UPDATE

After installing Crimson 16.7.2 (since it gave me +4 FPSs on avg. in ROTTR), I have started testing the drivers with various options on and off.

I have successfully managed to run GTA V at 60 FPS avg. with Crimson 16.7.2 driver without stuttering! Here are the changes that I made in order to achieve that:

1. I have updated Intel Chipset INF drivers (but I believe that this had nothing to do with FPS increase).

2. I have set "Graphics Profile" in Crimson to "Optimize Performance" (this had a positive impact, but for little).

3. Then I went to Crimson > Preferences > Radeon Additional Settings > AMD Smart Now Technology > Disable Smart Sleep

4. Finally, the MOST IMPORTANT THING; I went to Crimson > Gaming > Global Settings > POWER EFFICIENCY: OFF! (this made me a miracle!).

After these changes GTA V ran without stuttering at solid 60 FPS with my custom/high settings without a problem (see table with results below).

It seems that the "Power efficiency" option, which was turned "on", nerfed my whole R9 380 card! This is too bad, since probably many other owners have similar problem and don't know for new extra options inside Crimson driver that are now turned on.

All in all, GTA V seems to be running pretty solid now. Slight frame rate drops occur while rendering explosions, which brings me to conclusion that the 16.7.2 driver is on average worse for about 1% - 2% than 15.11.1, but that is about 1-2 frames per second which can be tolerated. However, when I compare the minimum FPS, the 16.7.2 driver is 20% better than 15.11.1. It seems to me now that AMD has done good job with the new Crimson drivers. Too bad they by default enabled options that nerf their cards.

GTA V Benchmark results with Crimson 16.7.2 (and Power efficiency option "OFF")

minmaxavg