2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 7:54 AM by okrempl

Cannot update driver

okrempl

So I start the install manager, make my choices an click the button.

Then the install manager always wants to install to install first the MS Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86), which is already installed as shown on the screenshot!

Even worse it tries to install an older version, which of course is not possible, next the install manager crashes and that is it. Are there any command line options to stop the futile attempt with MS Visual C++?

• Re: Cannot update driver
          amdmatt

Try a system clean up and a fresh installation.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest compatible drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

• Re: Cannot update driver
              okrempl

Thanks for your response.

Regarding your ideas I just can tell you it did not help, in detail:

1) sfc scan is okay.

2) are installed

3) the system gets patched each month

4) did use DDU for several times, never came to a complete install. Would always crash, with what is basically a problem with access rights

I got tons of those messages

Finally lost my patience with that crap called AMD Install manager, which in my opinion is totally useless and will make sooner or later bring everyone over to NVDIA graphic boards, which is a pity.

So I did, what I found somewhere on the internet:

Opened an command prompt with administrative privileges, navigated to the bin64 folder of the downloaded and unpacked package and run "atisetup.exe -Install -Output". This worked without any problem and installed everything, what I did not want I uninstalled later via "Programs and Features".

Highly recommended for everyone else with the same problem. As already mentioned AMD should be aware that they ruining their own market with that crap without any need.