1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 4:28 AM by amdmatt

Hard Freeze with Crossfire and FreeSync

joshjaks

Hey guys, recently got a FreeSync monitor and I love it, mostly. Whenever I try to run FreeSync with my Crossfire, my computer will randomly freeze up. There were a couple of updates that seemed to help at first, but I did get another lock up today during a game. Pretty sure I'm running into a driver issue with Windows 10. I've been able to test this and if I disable either one or the other, I don't have the issue. Also, this combination also affects League of Legends. I can't use the messaging or friend features in the launcher, and the game black screens once a match is launched. Disable FreeSync or Crossfire, works just fine. Here's my full system specs.

Windows 10 build 1607 64-bit

FX-8350 CPU

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard with 2902 bios

G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 Ram 2x8GB

2x Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X GPUs in Crossfire Mode, Crimson Driver version 16.8.1

One OCZ Vector 256 GB SSD for OS drive, Another one for my Game drive. (No raids)

1000W Rosewill Lightning Gold Rated PSU

Thermaltake Core V71 Chassis with 4x 200mm front and top fans and 2x 140mm bottom and rear fans

NZXT Grid+ V2 to control the 6 case fans

Hopefully that's enough detail. I was a Windows insider so I've debated reformatting to see if that fixes any issues, but really want to save that as a last result.

(Other steps I've tried: Disabling Gaming evolved, let's play, steam, Xbox live, CAM software and power saving features for the CPU in the bios.)

• Re: Hard Freeze with Crossfire and FreeSync
          amdmatt

I'd recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of our new Crimson 16.8.2 drivers, to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.8.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.