22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 1:16 AM by nbaliver100

Unable to change pixel format

div033

Hi,

I just got an RX 470 for my HTPC and was excited to finally have HDMI 2.0 for some 4:4:4 RGB action. However, Radeon Additional Settings doesn't seem to be displaying the options properly. This is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/NbCqFon.png

To clarify, I have a Sony XBR55X810C, a 4K TV with the capability to display 4K 60Hz at 4:4:4, as noted in this review: Sony X810C Review (XBR55X810C, XBR65X810C)

(I have set the TV's HDMI mode to Enhanced)

In the past, I have used 4K 60Hz on a 980 Ti without issue on this TV. I am uncertain as to why the Radeon software is having an issue here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

P.S. I am aware that the RX 470 is not a good 4K card, and I do not plan to try and game at 4K.

• Re: Unable to change pixel format
          amdpete

I've seen a couple of people with 480 cards post the same issue, that the pixel format for HDMI is only showing for them at 30Hz not 60Hz.  I haven't had that problem with my Samsung 4K HDMI 2.0 and so far our engineers haven't seen it either even with EDIDs from the TVs of affected users.

Did you also set it to Game or Computer as the input?

div033

I did try renaming my input to PC and Game, with no results.

I tried messing with some settings for a bit to see if I could get pixel format to work. It seems when my TV is set to Enhanced HDMI mode, all sorts of things become wonky. It often sets my resolution to something larger than my display can show, cutting off the sides of my desktop. I notice my TV will sometimes report the display resolution @ 3840x2160 when I've really set it to 1920x1080. Behavior can change very erratically, something clearly isn't supported properly here.

The only time I've been able to get the pixel format to display properly is when I set the resolution to 4K 60Hz Interlaced.

I've attached my EDID in case that could somehow help. From your tone, it seems the engineers have been down this road. Unsure what to do here.

EDID: xbr55x810c.bin - Google Drive

amdpete

How did you extract the EDID? You need to use this for best results since some utils don't have the block which has the HDMI settings in:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-edid-utility/

div033

Yep, I made sure to use that tool.

amdpete

OK thanks hopefully they may be able to find a pattern of why it is occurring.

div033

Thank you for the quick responses. This is my first experience with an AMD GPU so this experience has been a hard hit to my confidence in the brand, but your timely responses have certainly softened the blow. I appreciate your assistance in passing this along and hope to hear a follow up on this issue.

If there's anything else I can do to assist, please let me know. I don't think it's great for the market to have only one vendor with properly functioning HDMI 2.0, so I'm willing to help out wherever possible. I've otherwise been very satisfied with my purchase, but am early within my return window and won't hesitate to go back to the green team should this issue remain unresolved.

I would prefer to keep the card, so I hope a solution is found!

div033

As of driver version 16.8.2, this issue still exists.

I've recently submitted a formal issue report and have attempted some additional testing to see if I can make the driver recognize my TV's HDMI signal as HDMI 2.0. So far, I have not been able to. Here's a step-by-step guide on what I've done and what effects they had. There's been some incredibly wonky behavior through this:

1. Set TV's HDMI signal to Enhanced

2. Set resolution to 3840x2160

3. Attempt to set pixel format to 4:4:4, no dice; it's clearly 4:2:2 based on image testing

4. Set refresh rate to 30hz, the pixel format settings are present

5. Set refresh rate back to 60hz, the pixel format settings vanish

6. In Radeon display settings, enable GPU scaling, no dice

7. Disable GPU scaling, my video signal goes away entirely

8. Set HDMI signal to Standard, signal returns. At this point the TV now reports the resolution at 3840x2160 no matter what I set the resolution to in windows. As a result, pixel format settings no longer show up even if set to 1080p.

I eventually got things back to normal by forcing 120hz 1080p. I can now alter pixel format settings correctly. Strange stuff.

Once again, if there's anything I can do to assist, please let me know. My next steps will involve contacting Sony to see if there's something going on at their end, but seeing as how this functionality works fine on Nvidia cards, and other people have reported issues with other TVs, my money's on this being an AMD issue.

mmozza

rx 460 has same issue for 4k MSTAR3458 chipset tv with hdmi 2.0

only 30hz or only 4:2:2 chroma(even 8bit) or both

n corp 10xx series has no issue with same uhd tv

krakon

iam having the same problem with my sapphire rx 460 with a magewell capture card that supports 4k 4:4:4 over hdmi2.0

could you post your EDID so i could try that(card allows custom EDID), ill also attach my default one.

This is a huge dealbreaker for the 400 series!

@

amdpete

Since my Samsung TV works you can try this one

Dropbox - sansung.bin

krakon

thanks for the quick reply,and the edid, i got a picture but no 4:4:4 option except for when i turn down to 30hz(original edid didnt even give me at 444 at 30hz only 1080p)

iam running windows 7 x64 and 16.8.2 drivers.

could there be anything else like cables? i have tried 4 different ones, but only know that one is certified 1.4b. i guess there is a small chance the capture card actually dont support it, but shouldnt the option still be there when i use the samsung EDID?

div033

Cable doesn't matter - just the ports. They both need to be HDMI 2.0 and theoretically they should just work. Out of curiosity, how did you apply the Samsung EDID amdpete provided?

I understand this may not be a priority issue for AMD, but HDMI 2.0 functionality was a huge feature pushed for the 400 series. So far, many people seem to be unable to utilize this feature. I hope they don't think this is an isolated issue and never address it... So far I've only seen one report (from amdpete) of HDMI 2.0 working properly...

dolpa

Unfortunately My RX 480 is totally useless on Windows 10 for me, because 4K 60Hz is not chroma 4:4:4 and some colors is not valid. So I tried linux admgpu driver on Ubuntu 16.04 and it's working fine. By default 3840x2160@60Hz is chroma 4:4:4 nor I found an opportunity to change it.

Should consult linux team how did they do?

Anyway my TV EDID bin: Panasonic_40CX700.bin - Google Drive

jong1

This problem still seems to be present in 16.9.1 for the RX-460. The release notes only say fixed for RX-480 and, indeed, here I still see a blank tab.

Hopefully it will be fixed in the next.

FYI, I am using the RX-460 on Windows 10 64-bit. The card is connected to an LG OLED E6 TV, via a Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR.

Edit: reported via bug report form

jong1

Accidentally I discovered a bit more about the RX-460 (and may others?) issue.

If the refresh rate is reduced to 24Hz or 30Hz then a full set of pixel format options are available. But, if 50/60Hz is selected no options are provided. This prevents, for example, using 2160p 4:2:0 10/12-bit, which is perfectly acceptable with HDMI 2.0 (and works perfectly with other sources on my LG E6 TV). I'm actually not sure what format the RX-460 is even using @60Hz. My guess is YCbCr 4:4:4 8-bit but, since the tab is blank, it is a pure guess.