3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 4:45 PM by eax

Windows 10, Radeon 290X - Graphical Artifacts & Crashes

eax

I have:

Diamond Radeon 290X

i7-6700k, stock 4.0 GHz

16 GB RAM (Corsair, not sure of specific product or speed)

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5

Seagate Barracude 3TB drive

I have Windows 7 on a separate hard drive. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the above drive. First, I let it automatically install the AMD drivers, and I got horrible, horrible graphical artifacts such as these:

IMG_20160809_233422595_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160809_233201202.jpg

IMG_20160809_233129815.jpg

I've been having that problem ever since I first installed Windows 10 about a month or so ago. It would give me artifacts like that, then after about five minutes my monitors would turn off completely. Additionally, occasionally everything would freeze, the screen would flicker off then on, and I'd see a "AMD Display Driver stopped responding." popup. I've tried installing 15.11.1, 16.4.2, 16.6.1, 16.6.2, 16.7.2. None worked. I had to boot into safe mode, and use DDU to uninstall each one before I tried the next. A couple of days ago I tried doing the anniversary update, then installing 16.7.3. After doing so, I got the screenshots I posted above. I left the PC on for around 15 minutes (this time it was a little more stable initially), trying to find a fix of some sort. However, it bluescreened on me and gave me an "atikmpag.sys" error. Now when I try to boot, it says there's an error and it can't boot. The reset options (both keeping files and the discarding files) do not work. I've tried making a new install USB and running from that, but it tells me some file there is missing and it can't run.

That last stuff is probably Windows' fault. However, AMD's drivers clearly F'd it up (hopefully not beyond all recall).

Can anyone make any suggestions for fixing this? I used to scoff at the comments about Radeon drivers but I'm not anymore.

Edit: I just did a clean install of Windows 10, wiping everything. First boot, downloading the standard AMD drivers in Windows Update, and I get the artifacts again. Used DDU to remove it, then booted with "drive enforcement" disabled or whatever. Then installed 16.8.1. Now it seems like the screen's flickering occasionally (dependent on my activity), with the "display driver has stopped responding" business. Mostly no artifacts, though I just tried opening Edge and it did it again. If the anniversary update improves (or destroys) anything I'll mention it, otherwise though I still have a problem here.

Message was edited by: John Smith