2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2016 3:11 PM by shadowmeph

rx 480 heat and fan issue

shadowmeph

My system specs are i5 2500k 16 Gb ram Asrock z77 extreme 3 mother board windows 8.1 x64 , my system was OCed to 4.2 water cooled , I had since set my system to run at default so no OC now. I bought an XFX rx 480 8Gb last Friday and installed it, uninstalled my other AMD drivers deleted the AMD folder ran a reg cleaner rebooted installed the newest Drivers 16.7.3, rebooted I have a LCD 27" Samsung using as my main monitor and I also have a 50"led RCA TV I use for watching Videos. now here is the thing if I watch a video on my 50 inch the temperature will go all of the way up to 75c but my fan will not kick in, or what will happen after a few minutes of watching a video ( doesn't matter which video I run) my fan will jump to 100% and I cannot turn it down no matter what I do, I have to hard boot the system. another thing is if my system goes to sleep mode then I awake my system my GPU core will jump up to 100% usage even though my system is just Idling, I check t he task manager shows ( if I have Firefox web browser open) 51 process's and nothing is running that would draw that it shows cpu system idle at least 95%. at first I thought that it could be something to do with using XBMC Kodi to run my shows but that wouldn't cause the waking my system up from sleep state GPU core running at 100%. I have tried various things from different settings in the global wattman still no difference. uninstalled deleted the AMD folder reinstalled the drivers still no difference. this morning I repaired the un install Deleted folder reinstall drivers and then fired up XBMC Kodi played a video that made my card go stupid last night and this time the card ran at 77c but the fan speed was at Idle.

I am debating at either RMAing this card or uninstalling this card reinstalling my older card and just waiting ( hoping ) for a new driver but then again I am not sure it it is a driver issue

• Re: rx 480 heat and fan issue
          poobiscuits

I RMA'ed my RX 480 because I was having the same problem. Every time I resumed it from sleep, there was some random chance of the GPU being stuck at 100% load. By sleeping my computer and waking it up every minute, I could create something that looked like a square wave with the GPU load indicator in WattMan. If I let it sit at 100% load for a while, the card would eventually heat up to 80-90c. That's even though the rest of my system remained at idle.

I put the same card in another computer, and it had a similar problem. The other computer would sometimes have the card running 100% immediately after a cold boot, but never during wake from sleep. It's definitely nothing wrong with XBMC Kodi. I tried this on a fresh install of Windows 7, running absolutely no programs other than WattMan, and this would still happen.

• Re: rx 480 heat and fan issue
              shadowmeph

Ya I tried to RMA card waited a long time then ended up Upgrading to same card but next level up. Now same issue occurs but only when watching Videos I ran the heaven Bench mark repeatedly on my Main monitor with extreme settings full screen the fan did speed up but the temperatures stayed around 60c but as soon as I loaded up Kodi and watched a few videos the fan ramped up a few times once I had a crash then after a reboot same ramping up and down , I waited for a while then looked at the temperatures on my Main monitor while Kodi was idle and it shows 70+c I opened my side cover and the fans were not even spinning. has to be some weird driver issues, I have been reading else where and people are having similar issues when watching Videos with the Windows OS and on a Linux system using Pot player a person discovered that turning some feature off on the player seemed to stop the issue. I have been looking in the Kodi video settings  top see if I can turn of something so that it will stop but couldn't find anything to turn off. also I did notice that when I did change a setting in the video tab on the Radeon settings my fan stuck on 100% . I rebooted leaving the same setting and it still happened . So now I am debating on taking this card back and going for an Nvid card