0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 10:43 AM by ltron

Display Driver Crashes if Power Efficiency Off 390X

ltron

Hi, this problem has been bothering me for a while. If I turn power efficiency off in AMD Radeon Settings I get random display driver crashes, usually under idle conditions. 

This has been happening since I got my Sapphire Tri-X R9 390X, I was using Catalyst 15.7.1 at the time and then it stopped happening when Crimson was released. However, it returned when the power efficiency toggle was put in. As long as I have power efficiency on I get no crashes even in the most demanding games. 

I can reproduce the issue easily with Gog Galaxy. With power efficiency off, if I browse the list of games I will eventually get driver crashes where there is a freeze for a few seconds and then it recovers (note that Windows Anniversary does not notify you of driver crashes, yet they are logged in the event viewer).

I have found that I will always get a driver crash before I am able to browse 99 pages of games(33 pages repeated 3 times) and I was wondering whether anyone with a Fury/300 series card and Gog Galaxy would be able to reproduce this before I RMA the card.

I have tried the card in another system and got the same behaviour so it is either the card or the drivers. 

With power efficiency on, many indie games run at 30FPS with Vsync which is why it's annoying, most triple A games are fine though.

I reported this issue to AMD last year in the hope that it was a driver issue that they could fix.

My specs:

Core I7 5820K@4.1GHz

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000@2133

Asus Sabertooth X99

Noctua NH-D15S

Sapphire Tri-X R9 390X

Corsair RM1000i 1000W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB(OS drive)

Samsung SM961 512GB (game drive)

Windows 10 Home 64Bit Anniversary Edition