2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 6:24 AM by narcissus

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.1 : avoid it at all costs (r9 390X user).

narcissus

Okay it is not a question, it is basically a warning for users sake. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.1 is very problematic and avoiding it is adviced. I have a Sapphire Nitro r9 390X btw.  Even though 16.7.3 driver was having its own problems (Freesync flickering in the desktop and while watching videos, gaming overdrive fan settings don't work vs vs) it was decent enough to run the games normally.

But after upgrading to 16.8.1 %99 of the time while playing Overwatch and GTA V my PC crashes and giving game and gpu specific errors. Then i looked it up in the internet and saw that lots of people (not only 390x users but also 290,390 and 480) were having trouble with the same driver with similar (if not the same) issues.

So people don't use the 16.8.1 driver.

And please amd while fixing these newly generated problems please fix the freesync flickering in the desktop and make gaming overdrive work (right now it doesn't change its fan setting/speed  to the values you set from the crimson drive overdrive the first time you run the game, but ironically if you exit the game and reopen it,  fan speed changes to the value you set manually perfectly.. it is ridiculous and most likely a bug.

• Re: Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.1 : avoid it at all costs (r9 390X user).
          cnrom

Agreed. 16.7.3 override settings failed again. Thanks for the warning.

• Re: Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.1 : avoid it at all costs (r9 390X user).
              narcissus

You are welcome. I also have contacted with AMD support and notified them about the problems because i really like AMD but this is frustrating..

I submit them my list of problems related to the latest 2 drivers (16.7.3 and 16.8.1)

- Flickering problem in with freesync on  in desktop while browsing on the internet or playing videos in a video program. : Problem in 16.7.3  Resolved in 16.8.1

- Broken crimson overdrive settings, doesn't change its fan setting/speed to the values you set from the crimson drive overdrive the first time you run the game, but ironically if you exit the game and reopen it, fan speed changes to the value you set manually Problem in 16.7.3  and continues on in  16.8.1

- Overwatch and GTA V crushes randomly due to gpu problems, this was never happened to me before 16.8.1 drivers so : Problem in 16.8.1

As I had said before these issues are not exclusive to me, if you search the internet you ll see they are very common among lots of users.

These are only the ones i know if you have come across any other let me / amd know in this toppic and maybe by contacting them through support. Also i wanna ask if is there anywhere better to submit those issues rather than here for AMD to see.