4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 10:48 PM by Earnhardt

AMD Raptr complaint

apl

Dear Sir,

I maintain the personal laptops for a couple of elderly family members and recently they updated their AMD drivers, which I would have assumed to be a standard and necessary procedure as with any systems software update in order to maintain systems security and integrity.  I was however very surprised to discover that this update had also installed the AMD Gaming Evolved App powered by the Raptr and therefore forces them to agree the Raptr's ToS. (See: Raptr Terms of Service - Raptr )

As I understand the Raptr ToS was not presented during the install of the AMD drivers and they installed this app, as have many people, thinking it was part of the AMD driver update. AMD appears to take people privacy seriously (see: Privacy ), yet allows the stealthy and default installation of an application that clearly infringes the privacy rights of it's users.All computer users are urged these days to act responsible in preventing the spread of viruses and insecurities, to ensure that they only install the programs they intended to install and to make sure that these programs are safe and to know where these programs come from.  Raptr has been shown not to be a secure program, (AMD Gaming Evolved, Raptr Service Hacked ) and according to their ToS does not take any responsibility, or will be held liable, for their failings.  Yet an AMD update intended to improve security could have potentially introduced insecurities by installing the AMD Gaming Evolved App, an application incidentally the people concerned did not want.

My concern is that in a few weeks time when I return to maintain these computers again I will discover that the AMD Gaming Evolved App, or other similar applications, that are unwanted, unneeded and  once again present simply because organisations in positions of responsibility are putting big business before personal privacy.

There is a quite simple solution however and that is to uncheck the tickbox during the install, thereby disabling the default and inadvertent installing of these applications.

Regards

APL