3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 7:27 AM by juleshoyle

Windows 10 freezes during boot when Radeon RX 480 is fitted but will start ok in safe mode

juleshoyle

Hello AMD community,

I recently purhased the AMD Radeon RX 480 4gb graphics card and have the above problem.

Here is the rest of my spec:

Maximus V Gene mobo, Intel i5 3570K

Corsair Vengence DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

PSU: Corsair CX750

Windows 10 64bit (up to date)

I can only get Window to boot in safe mode with the graphics card card inserted. If I try a normal boot windows 10 freezes during boot up (even off line). If I try to install the graphic card using the AMD installer in safe mode (after using the AMD drive cleaner utility) I get the following message; 'Detection driver error. Contact AMD for assistance'. Strangly I have managed to get windows to start normally twice however so I wonder if I have a faulty graphics card.

I sent a message to AMD support a couple of day ago and I am awaiting a reply.

Other possible solutions I have come across are:

1) updating my motherboard bios

2) installing additional micorosoft software such as microsoft .net framework or Visual c++ 2013

I am very knew to PC building so any pointers as to if I am thinking along the correct lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. Hopefully I will hear back from AMD and will post the outcome.

Jules