7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 2:59 AM by derrickgott007

Which gfx card leaves others in the dust?

daren901

Now that the Titan X has launched, albeit some time after the RX 480; I haven't really noticed many comparisons between the two. One noticeable difference is the price, the latter being of considerable less cost. What you'd pay for the Titan X, you'd be able to purchase three new RX 480's. Obviously each to their own taste, but if I wanted insanely good graphics so smooth as to really appreciate, which card would you recommend and why?

• Re: Which gfx card leaves others in the dust?
          adr_tech

Well its difficult to respond to this question because it all depends on what games you want to play, and what your price range is. Currently i'm running the 4gb version of the r9 290, and I have yet to face any issues with my graphics or FPS. But at the same time Nvidia offers some very good graphics card, and with their 1080s and 1070s really leaving the older AMD cards in the dust right now, I would have to recommend the 1070 if you have the money for it. (although the price tag is still pretty high). But if you want to casually game with good FPS and very good performance, without having to sell one of your children, I would say pick up a used or new 290 for about 200 bucks, and stay happy with it. If you really want more performance, 2 290's still pack a great punch.

Btw this is all my personal opinion, feel free to counter any of my statements!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            zealotki11er

RX480 is more of a 1080p card while Titan X is a 4K card. Can never recommend any Nvidia card right now other then GTX1070 if it was selling for its MSRP of $380 but it's not. I refuse to overpay for GPUs knowing that a faster card will come soon after and make the value proposition terrible. To put it into perspective if Pascal had same pricing as Maxwell Titan XP would be ~ $650. It would have been a 1080 Ti.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              iamthesaga

Honestly, you will probably get close to 5, yes 5 RX480's for the price of a new Titan X. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                daren901

I Just purchased a Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 480 NITRO (8GB). This comes as some relief as the current card I'm using, an XFX AMD R9 380 (4GB) has had driver issues for as long as the card's been installed; roughly 3 months. Here's hoping the driver issues don't extend to the RX 480's.

Your advice had me gunning for the AMD, as I'd looked at some of the GTX 1070/1080 deals, but decided against spending so much money on a new 4K monitor. The RX 480 is VR ready, so if I wish to buy a VR headset, I'd have no problem setting it up. In fact these luxuries are something I can work towards owning and enjoying.

BTW. If anyone knows 2016-09-08 14.49.31.jpgwhere I could pass on a couple of older GFX cards to those who would make use of them; XFX AMD R9 380 (4GB), and an AMD R9 290 (2GB) all I'd want is the cost for shipping. Please message me if you're interested.