6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 1:22 PM by walking_corpse

Need new GPU pushing max on R9 290 4GB

jdslayerdk09

I am pushing my limit on my setup - Skylake 6400 and 16GB DDR4 + R9 290 4GB

DL.jpg

Playing currently in 6100x1200 on 3 monitors, the load is above 4000MB to GPU. Play a lot of Dying Light, Warhammer Vermintide and R6 Siege.

Looking for VEGA - but nothing new and feels like I am going to buy Nvidia for the first time. Been loyal to ATI brande since my first Rage Fury. Did look at the new Fury, but 4GB limit brings me nowhere. What is a true red FanATIc to do?

• Re: Need new GPU pushing max on R9 290 4GB
          zealotki11er

Have you tried to play with Texture Quality? You resolution is less then 4K but very close. R9 290 was a $400 GPU. You are going to need to spend GTX1080 money to get close to 60 fps at your resolution. I play @ 4K and never had memory problems apart from RoTR where setting the Textures from Ultra to High brought it under 4GB.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            kxuping

I play with 3 Samsung 2560x1440 monitors at 7680x1440 Eyefinty if possible or 5760x1080. AMD FX 9590 and R9 290X 4GB up to Quadfire if I gain something, not all games support Crossfire. If I have problem with GPU Ram I turn down these two options: anti-aliasing & anisotropic filtering, I do not disable them just use one of the lower options. Try that to lower your GPU ram usage.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                jdslayerdk09

well I believe you hit my very point, even quadfire cant change the fact that the R9 290 leaves one with only 4GB (in my edition). Given up waiting for a propper solution, believe Im going green for the first time ever... A sad day - but need more power...

walking_corpse

Dying Light is very resource hungry no matter what it's played on, and running it over 3 monitors is just making it work harder. Any GPU will struggle at higher settings at that resolution, regardless of manufacturer.

I'd suggest to wait until the New Year and the release of Vega to decide on your upgrade - you'll not have to go to the dark side then

walking_corpse

Everything in gaming is a trade-off, as the earlier poster mentioned - you're running at very close to 4k resolution. The 290 just isn't built for 4k gaming so either graphical fidelity will suffer or your framerate will.

So after looking at your settings - I'd suggest the following:

Your view distance is set high, even for one monitor - I suggest turning that down to 2/3 or even 1/2 of the bar.

Foliage Quality turn down to medium (or low), this takes up major VRAM that you want to keep free for your resolution and doesn't change that much graphically

Texture Quality - turn down to medium (or low), for similar reasons to Foliage

Anti-aliasing - turn off, this will make a remarkable difference to your framerate. 

This combination should give you playable framerates without too much of a drop in graphical fidelity, hopefully this will tide you over til Vega drops where you can get a GPU that is built to handle 4K gaming