6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 4:48 AM by cyrilounet

Radeon(TM) HD8970M not functioning after driver installation

cyrilounet

Hello everyone,

I have some problems with the driver installation of my AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M.

It occurred after installing a fresh Windows installation on my laptop when I wanted to install the driver of all laptop devices especially the driver of my graphic card. 

The installation of the latest driver version of my graphic card is going well.

However, after reboot, Radeon(TM) HD8970M doesn't work. In the Control Panel > System > Device manager, there is an exclamation mark on AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M line.

The device statut is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". It's very helpfull...

I uninstalled the driver (with AMD Clean Uninstall Utility), reinstalled and reboot. The same problem occured! I repeated these steps 3 times at least!

Anyway, I noticed some details which can help:

First, when I go in "AMD Radeon parameters" and a window open telling me "No AMD graphics driver installed or is not functioning properly."

Second, nearly one minute after the laptop boot, I have the following error :
      "Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat/version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile 0).This is most likely caused by not having the necessary graphics drivers installed.

Install a driver providing OpenGL 2.0 or higher, or, if this is not possible, make sure the ANGLE Open GL ES 2.0 emulation libaries (libraries (libEGL.dll, libGELESv2.dll and d3compler_*.dll) are available in the application executable´s directory or in a location listed in PATH."

I don't understand this error... Do I install OpenGL?

Finally, fans run anormaly speed. No game or other heavy applications are opened except Firefox. I don't know it's linked to my graphic car problem but I wish to specify it.

In advance, thank you for your future help ! (and sorry for my english...)!

System description :

AMD graphic card : Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Other graphic card : Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Laptop built by LDLC, french seller of computer equipments. More details are available here (sorry, it's french and commercial link but there are all information about my laptop here): http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00153404.html

Running on Windows 7 64 bits

Driver version installed : Radeon Crimson 16.7.3

CPU : Intel Core i7 4700MQ

RAM : 16GB

• Re: Radeon(TM) HD8970M not functioning after driver installation
          kingfish

First, Win7 must be fully updated from Windows Update before trying to install any AMD graphics driver. This includes SP1 and all the relevant 'Optional' updates...like .netframework and the C++ upgrades.

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics must be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and  use the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest graphics driver for your laptop. Download and save it to your desktop.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop > http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel. Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Now install the Intel drivers first....reboot. And lastly the AMD drivers....reboot.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

If you are having issues with the normal installation of the Mobility drivers, use the clean install method , making sure you install the latest Intel drivers.

2 of 2 people found this helpful