9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2018 12:14 AM by wexler

Win10 hd6790 with AMD drivers black screen before log-in screen, works on safe mode or without AMD drivers

tishert

Hi

I have  a powercolor HD 6790 on a Intel system running win10, and everything was fine until a few days ago. Then while the pc was running I got a black screen freeze, and after that every time the system boots I get a black screen freeze before I can log in to windows. I've noticed that I can boot windows in safe mode without any problem and by uninstalling the amd drivers I can boot windows on normal mode and every thing works fine with Microsoft's basic graphics card drivers. I've tried installing previous amd drivers like 15.7, but every time I do it I get a black screen freeze during the installation. If I try to install the drivers in safe mode, the installation is completed but when I boot windows in normal mode I get the Black Screen Freeze again.

Plz help me, is this a dead gpu problem, is this a Amd driver problem or is this a Win10 driver problem

Thank you

• Re: Win10 hd6790 with AMD drivers black screen before log-in screen, works on safe mode or without AMD drivers

I have had the same issue with win 10 14.939.10 64x Pro

8750m

I tested some ways. Crasched sometimes at 16% installation or 33 % by flickering

Shutdown Computer dont help Black Screen and System hang on...

i have found a way for me to solve it, but the Driver dont fixed other issues that i have sience Win 10

Try this, donwlaod Amd Clean UP Utility (its alway in the install Folder)

Execute it, restart.

in System Manager / Hardware Manager show that the Videocard is not installed (yellow) if installed Automaticly try Uninstall with Right klick and uninstall with Software Checkbox

Win 10 must up to date, but Videocard not installed.

Than Downlaod / extrakt Crimson 1.6.7.1 install it normal way with all but Uncheck the "automaticly install drivers"

after installing Restart than Downlaod /extract 1.6.7.3 install it as Upgrade (not uninsatll 1.6.7.1)

make sure that "automatic install drivers" is unchecked (i make that cuz some drivers give me bad fps)

Now no Crash at install or Black Screen at Starting Windows for me.

But have not Full Screen sience Windows 10 build 10240 on Dirt Rally with my VGA monitor on Laptop , CSGO work only in Windowed FS mode with my Vga Monitor but only 1680x1050 (win7 give me Full HD 1920...)

If u have a Running louder Fan or 0.80V power in Desktop (if the Gpu dont turned off in 2D) close the Rapter and Plays Tv App in Windwos Task (need Configured in Catalyst/crimson that Energy is on loweer mode for this app but for Recording it needs Balanced mode i think)

• Re: Win10 hd6790 with AMD drivers black screen before log-in screen, works on safe mode or without AMD drivers
              tishert

didn't work for me.

I downloaded crimson 16.2.1 that is the one for the HD 6000 family, tried to install it in windows normal mode, but when it got to install the Amd video drivers, it gave the pc a black screen freeze that canceled the installation.

I then tried installing the drivers manually in windows safe mode, it installed the drivers but then when i booted windows in normal mode I got the Black Screen Freeze before the login screen.

merin_83

I have the exact same issue described by the original post. I tried to reset my laptop twice, restored from a back up Jan 2016 backup. Still same issue.

If i disable the auto driver installed for ADM HD graphics by windows, then it works with no issues with the Generic driver used by windows. Also it works on the HD6000 graphics. Everything work till win logo scree, once entering the login screen, u can see the screen turns blackish gray, no mouse. This happened to me only yesterday, dono what changed, i did not install new driver or some thing.

UPDATE: Also windows update fails.. but it has the adm driver in those update.

My system config:

Win 10 pro 64

HD7970m

i7 3rd gen processor

m17x system

Try a check with sfc / scannow... search Errors

Fast u can make system restore, update it to latest system with standart windwos installed drivers and than try this, my english wurst:

Question::

have u Disable Signed Drivers (not in cmd) in Safe Mode? have a look to Disable Windwos automatic downlaod and installing Drivers by Windows Update?

I have make a Systemrestore, and become unstable System with Hang on by installing 16.7.3

After uninstalling in Safe mode, i try to disable Signed Driver, in cmd it dont work with new System w10(Premissions)

i disabled service and have a look on gpedit.msc ...try to disable that WIndwos Update installing self Driver Updates for Devices (u must know what u have to install...)

Disable in Hardware Options the "Validiate" and u can choose the driver self and than installing the Software (this must i do for new intel mGpu drivers)

THis helped me after System Restore W10 14939_10

But i must go about 1.6.7.1 non WHQL (not install First the WHQL 1.6.7.3 this give me Error and problemms with Microsoft Signed Drivers...) and over it i Upgrade to 1.6.7.3 and Uncheck Automatic Installed drivers.

Question::

have u Disable Signed Drivers (not in cmd) in Safe Mode? have a look to Disable Windwos automatic downlaod and installing Drivers by Windows Update?

I have make a Systemrestore, and become unstable System with Hang on by installing 16.7.3

After uninstalling in Safe mode, i try to disable Signed Driver, in cmd it dont work with new System w10(Premissions)

i disabled service and have a look on gpedit.msc ...try to disable that WIndwos Update installing self Driver Updates for Devices (u must know what u have to install...)

Disable in Hardware Options the "Validiate" and u can choose the driver self and than installing the Software (this must i do for new intel mGpu drivers)

THis helped me after System Restore W10 14939_10

But i must go about 1.6.7.1 non WHQL (not install First the WHQL 1.6.7.3 this give me Error and problemms with Microsoft Signed Drivers...) and over it i Upgrade to 1.6.7.3 and Uncheck Automatic Installed drivers.

tishert

I have noticed something else with my problem. When I have Amd drivers installed, in the devices manager my Monitor is called a PnP Monitor and it has a yellow exclamation mark on it. But when i Uninstall the Amd drivers, that warning on the monitor disappears.

My monitor is connected to my graphics card by a DVI to VGA adapter, could this have anything to do with my problem?

wexler

Happend today to me. Laboured on it for like 6 hours. Solved. HDMI connection.

I have been able to use monitor via DVI to configure HDMI settings. Changed color depth from 12 bpc to 10 bpc and then HDMI worked again. Look on attached picture.

Please give feedback if it worked for you.

Got the newest driver which made that happend to me and it is alright now. So i hope for you to be fine.AMD driver black screen HDMI.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful