1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 11:11 AM by amdpete

Disappointed RX 480 User - Crossfire Question - Fury Nano addition?

jskarp23

I have a question. I am not happy with the driver support for the RX480 (there are a few games that will not work at all) so i am thinking of adding a Fury Nano or Fury X to my system.

I have two RX 480 cards in my system now and I am pleased overall but its frustrating that some things are not working and no updates as to when fixes will be implemented (The Evil Within -for one-)... so...questions:

1. can I define which crossfire card is "master"? This would allow me to add a nano into the third slot (it has slightly limited space due to MB connectors at the bottom edge of the MB. (ASUS x99-A II v3 motherboard). If I can define which is master crossfire card i can keep all three in. If not:

2. If I remove my master rx480 and replace it with furyx or fury nano will the remaining rx480 still function as normal even though it is running behind an "older" card?

Its a shame I am having to spend more cash on this system just so the things I have had working will work again but that is the price you pay for new technology. You do not even get free games with your hardware anymore as a consolation prize. I have been with ATI since my 7970s but I am starting to look at the NVIDIA sections on newegg and amazon prime....

xfx fury x for $399 right now is a good price though.

specs. New build

I7-6850

ASUS x99-A II v3 (40 total PCIE lanes)

g.skill ddr4-3200 x32gb (4x8gb)

xfx rx 480 8gb  oc x2

samsung evo 850 SSD x2

1000w Gold + PS

clean new install Win10

• Re: Disappointed RX 480 User - Crossfire Question - Fury Nano addition?
          amdpete

Evil within was fixed in the 16.30 drivers aka AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.7.3 I believe and it wasn't something simple to fix since that game was doing something in an odd way which didn't show up on older hardware.

You can't crossfire a Fury card with RX 480 cards,  You can add a fury card to your system on its own however for games which allow you to pick which GPU to render to instead of the Crossfired 480 cards. Not every game allows you to pick the GPU.

Windows detects the GPUs in its own order so there isn't a way to define which of 2 Crossfired cards is the master and which is the slave.

You have to expect some bugs with brand new hardware IMO.

1 of 1 people found this helpful