Hello there, I purchased a w9100 card second hand and now I have some serious regrets.
I examined the card and it looked perfectly fine aside from a bent bracket that I could straighten with my hands. After getting it into my PC and getting the drivers to install I was ready to rock and roll. The first problem that showed up was that viewport performance in Maya was actually slightly worse than my Titan Black in Viewport 2.0 DX11/OpenGL/OpenGL Core. I then tried to do some texture previewing but I ended up running out of VRAM. Opening the newest version of MSI Afterburner showed me maxing out at 4095 megs of VRAM but typing in a MEL command stated 14235... I do not know what that means, is that the ammount of GPU memory actually being used? Opening Substance Painter 2 and loading a heavy scene maxes out the 4gigs and crashes it. Looking at CPUz it states I only have 4gigs of VRAM even though it also states that is indeed a w9100 but its BIOS in MSI Afterburner shows up as: 015.044.000.022
On the other hand, going to desktop resolution and advanced properties shows bios 113-c6760100-103 which is the correct one but also reiterates that dedicated video memory is still only 4095 (not 4096) megs.Furthermore, I head read that the w9100 gets a score of around 175-180 in Cinebench 15 OpenGL test vs my Titan Blacks's 164. Nope, it only got a score of 147. So what the fruit is going on?
I am using the latest firepro drivers Crimson 16.2.1 but it has been over 5 months since I last installed any Windows updates since I review most of them beforehand given that they have bricked another computer twice in the past. I am installing them now but it will take a little bit.
So... what are the chances the seller flashed a w9100 BIOS on a much lower-end firepro GPU in order to spoof it despite having all six working display ports in back? Could it just be I need to update Windows? So many questions!
P.S. The only thing that recognises the GPU's RAM as 16gigs is the driver window itself and nothing else. Speaking of which, I left Nvidia's drivers installed because I planned on keeping a single Titan in the Case for GPU rendering as I have read several success stories of it working but even then I uninstalled the driver in safemode to no avail.
Windows 7 SP1 x64
64GB Corsair Ram
256GB SSD OS drive
Driver: Crimson 16.2.1
P.P.S. I thought I should mention that my motherboard is an Asus Rampage V Extreme with the latest BIOS and I turned off my mild 4.2GHZ and XMP profile 1 which also did not help.
P.P.P.S. I installed the 14.502.1019 drivers recently to see if the older ones would fix the issue but to no avail. At least my computer stopped freezing... I forgot to mention that it was also doing that with the latest drivers.