15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 7:56 PM by techguy

Are my temperatures safe? FX 8350

leonardgutrock

Hello. I just bought a new FX 8350 processor, and I will like to know if temperatures are safe. I use my PC for gaming, and 3D rendering, wich it makes the chip going full load almost all the time. I have seen, 61C is the max user temp, mine is always above 55, reaching 60. So far, not beyond that. I used to have an FX 8150, and temperatures were always between 50 and 55 at full load. I also use Cooler master seidon 120M and two chasis fans, but what I would like to know is, if the temperatures are always at this range mentioned before for long periods of time 6-8 hours daily My processor will be fine?

This is my Rig:

MB: Asus M5A99XEVO

FX 8350

XFX double dissipation R9 280X

12 GB ram 1886mhz

Cooler master seidon 120M

2 thermaltake fans

Raidmax Cobra power 700W 80 plus bronze

thanks for your answers

Another thing, Can someone explaing me this? If I check the temperature with HWINFO64, the total cpu temperature shows me a number, and If I do the same using Overdrive, the cpu cores individually show me a different temp, what´s going on there?, and not only that, but if the cpu is idle, the core temps shown in overdrive will rise, while HWIN.. will show a decrase of temp. Oh, and what is TMPIN1?. Thanks!!

• Re: Are my temperatures safe? FX 8350
          black_zion

It will be fine, but you might want to look at a beefier cooler such as the Corsair H80i. 1°C of play isn't a lot.

black_zion

Also don't expect to replicate mine, I run a much more powerful Corsair H105, and I am overclocking hence the slightly higher core voltage. And as QB said, don't trust Overdrive, and your Vcore is massively high for a stock setting. I also hope your 12v reading is in error, though with that really horrid power supply it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't that far off, because components really don't like to function below 11.9v.

stabilitytest.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              qbtheslayer

I see a couple of things...  First, why 12 GB of RAM?  You lose dual channel mode when using 3 DIMMs and from your screen shot, it looks like it's not even running at 1866 MHz .  But that is a little off topic.

Second, I see a high idle Vcore. It's hard to judge since your screen shot doesn't show what the Vcore is under load.  You have Cool & Quiet enabled so the minimum value does not represent the load value like in mine (see below).  So maybe if you could take the same screen shot while running a stress test like OCCT I could better understand what is happening under the hood.  Right now, I would guess your LLC needs a little tweaking, which may help with load voltages (if they are very high) and maybe bring down that temp a little.

I run an H80i in a case with THREE 230mm fans, so don't look to replicate my temps, in your situation it just wouldn't be possible...  but maybe we can help in lowering those temps a bit.

As for your questions at the end of your post...  TMPIN1 is your CPU Socket temp, it is a motherboard sensor.  Overdrive actually shows the thermal margin...  so as the temp rises the margin will fall.  I guess it's supposed to allow you to see how much more heat the core can take before it starts throttling back...  I have never put much stock in Overdrive for anything.

QB

799161bf3e8b4a07b25932d9995fb74f.png

leonardgutrock

Hello, and thanks for your answers. You are right, I forgot to mention that the screen shot was made with the PC at full load, I was doing some rendering. But anyway, I am quite interested in what you have said about my RAM, and the tweaking thing. I dont know too much about this kind of topics, so I will appreciate some help. thanks

techguy

There is no issue with your CPU running at 61C for hours at a time. No newer cooler is required unless you desire to change coolers. If you decide to change to a better cooler I would suggest against liquid coolers which do leak coolant and damage PC hardware. Five of the top AMD HSF tower coolers listed at FrostyTech.com cost 70% or less of what the Coolermaster Seidon 120 costs and provide more than enough cooling for an FX-8350 - even when overclocked. The choice of course is totally yours.

Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com

derrickgott007

I used a Cooler Master Hyper T4 on my FX8350 and it never got passed 37C even on full load with Prime95 for 24hrs

Now I use the Wraith Cooler on an FX8370 and its just as good.

techguy

There are many good HSFs that will cool an FX-8350 or similar. When you OC the 8-core FX CPUs the thermal load increases rapidly so a persons' goals and hardware will usually dictate their cooling options. Ambient temps, case size, design and airflow all affect CPU and GPU full load temps.

FWIW, it would be quite unusual for an FX-8350 to not be above 37C under full load even with a good tower cooler. Not all temp. software reads AMD CPUs properly. HWiNFO, Core Temp, OCCT and AIDA64 tend to show pretty accurate temps in the 60C-70C range . Lower temps can be completely inaccurate due to the way the software interprets the temp output register on AMD CPU/APUs.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                            paco2013

dont look at the cpu temp, but at the package temp, thats the core temp and thats the 1 that should not go over 62 degrees celsius.

but i dont care to hit 70 degrees on the core temp when stresstesting, but just for a short time.

warsun

You should be able to g up to 90c but if your temps are that high an you have not overclocked.You may have a virus in your system.Run an Anti-Virus program or use programs that remove them from your browser.Try Bleepingcomputer.com find AdvCleaner. Run that.It should remove whatever may be in your system causing that high of a temp.If you are using Windows 7 64bit.I highly recommend ComboFix. However it turns on Windows Updates when its done.So you need to disable that when you finish an you should be fine.

techguy

The FX-8000 and 9000 series CPUs can not go to 90C before shutting down completely. The low power FX CPUs can typically run a little higher temps but none are rated to be above 71C user temp. The internal processor control will start throttling an 8 core FX CPU at 70C and completely shut the PC down at ~ 80C to prevent damage to the CPU. Laptop CPU/APUs however are designed to operate at up to ~ 90C without issue.

Malware that causes a CPU to run at higher loads than normal can increase the CPU temp some but it can't cause a CPU to run hotter than a 100% load for which the OEM heatsink/fan is designed to provide proper cooling. It's important that AMD users employ a temp software program that properly reads the AMD processor Internal Temp to determine if their processor is actually overheating or if the software is providing an incorrect reading or they are reading the wrong temp instead of the Internal "core temp" of the processor.

catchabreak

go for a good water cooling solution. yes they can leak but the best air coolers are massive and put a lot of stress on your motherboard such as the

Noctua NH-D15

if they even fit.

the best 240mm water cooler for performance and price is the

Cooler Master RL-N24M-24PK-R1 Nepton 240M

or if you can fit a 280mmm radiator about the best performer is the

Kraken X61

by NZXT

these will drop your temps to the top 40s

techguy

No large tower coolers do NOT place a lot of stress on the mobo because the mobo has a proper heatsink mounting load spreader specifically designed to spread the load and prevent any issues. These large HSFs have been used for years without any mobo issues what so ever even with low quality Chinese mobos.

The OP can use whatever cooler they desire but posting false information on HSFs is a disservice to everyone. As noted the Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212 is a super value at ~$39.95  and its a proven cooling system that never leaks coolant to damage a PC as all liquid cooling systems can and often do.

derrickgott007

You can get a Cooler Master Evo 212 or the Cooler Master Hyper T4,  they'll keep temps in the 40's as well and wont stress the motherboard at all.  They are super light.