3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 4:36 PM by len603203

disable 4k upscaling

ivo

I have a pc with a Radeon R9 380 hooked to a 4k Samsung UE48JU6550 Screen. I use of course native resolution of 3840x2160.

Windows looks good, everything is clear and sharp. But when I look at for example full hd videos, they are blurry. The reason for that seems to be automatic upscaling. It looks like anti aliasing in older video games. Sharp egdes are blurred. This occurs only on that part of the screen, where the lower resolution content is shown, so I figured the graphics card is responsible for this.

Is there a way, that one can change the way, upscaling is handled? I would like to forbid my gpu to blurr my content. Instead of computing a new pixel colour from the surrounding pixel values of the video, I would like my gpu to just take the colour of the nearest pixel of the content, so that edges won't be blurred. I cannot find anything like this whatsoever.

Is this even possible?

• Re: disable 4k upscaling
          amdpete

The TV does the scaling so no.

ivo

How does the TV know, which part of the screen has to be upscaled? As I understood this, the TV only upscales when it gets signals below UHD. So if I were to choose FullHD as my Windows resolution, the TV would upscale to 4k. But that's not what I meant. How can the tv distinguish between a youtube videoplayer on a website and the rest of the screen? I would very much appreciate a link or something for me to understand.

Also, what I mean can be seen on all other monitors I have used so far. It is the  same effect as when you watch a 720p video on a 1080p screen.

len603203

My TV has an option for upscaling.. Off, Low, Med and High (or Off, Min, Normal and Max, I can't remember).  This option is disabled (along with upscaling) when in PC mode, which I'd recommend doing on the HDMI input of your PC (especially when gaming).  Watch this video and you will have a much better understanding of how to set up a TV for PC gaming.  I learned a lot from it myself.

How To Set up your TV for Games Correctly. - YouTube