4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:59 AM by amdmatt

Games are lagging after driver updates

rsodd

I've had this computer for almost two years and hadn't updated the drivers until yesterday. I updated to 16.7.3 for AMD Radeon and I use Windows 10. I'm kind of frustrated that I did because now when I play games they lag really badly (characters running in place, the game freezing, etc.). I am wondering if restoring to factory settings would get rid of the driver issues or cause some sort of unexpected problems. I am not really great with computers so I'd prefer not having to uninstall and reinstall things because I'm worried I would accidentally delete something important (although if that's the only solution, I am sure I can figure it out with great stress ). Any help would be appreciated!

• Re: Games are lagging after driver updates
          amdmatt

What GPU are you using?

rsodd

It's the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics card

When I check the AMD Radeon settings there is also a tab for "AMD Radeon R9 255 (Disable)". I don't know if there's anything I can or should do with this hardware.

amdmatt

Sounds like you are using the integrated GPU instead of the discrete GPU. It is normal for the 255 to show as disabled, it means the display on your laptop is wired to the integrated GPU.

To configure an application to use the discrete GPU you need to open Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings.

In CCC Slim, navigate to Switchable Graphics Application Settings. This area will allow you to select which 3D application uses the Integrated GPU or the High Performance GPU. Add the application to CCC and select High Performance Mode to ensure that the High Performance GPU is used. Note, it is recommend to have the laptop plugged in and Windows configured to High performance mode in the Control Panel > Power options to ensure you get the best possible performance.

koneli

Hey, i have same problem with rainbow six siege.. all was fine, and new dlc came out and i updated my graph card to.. and my fps is under 10.. unplayalbe

r9 280x asus gpu i using