0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 11:24 AM by sem23tex

Eyefinity + r9 radeon fury x + Windows 10 = Nightmare

sem23tex

I bought a Fury X in spite of swearing I would never purchase another AMD card 5 years ago.  So far, I am regretting my decision to give AMD another chance.

Here is my situation.  I have a home built gaming rig that once ran two gtx 770's in sli that I never had a problem with except they were incredibly sensitive to heat and throttled down constantly.  Having said that, the nvidia cards and drivers made it a breeze to run three monitors even on Windows 10.  I upgraded to Windows 10 this past spring. As I mentioned, I have three monitors.  All three are ASUS VG248qe 144hz gaming monitors and I want to run them in an eyefinity configuration similar to what I had with the nvidia cards.  I have purchased 2 different sets of three Displayport cables to ensure that I wouldn't have a cable problem.  The nvidia cards connected to the monitors via dvi cables and the nvidia drivers recognized monitors native 144hz refresh rate.  Before installing the Radeon Fury X, I used DDU to wipe all the video drivers from the machine so I could install radeon drivers and their crimson software package fresh.  I got the card up and running on one monitor connected with a Displayport cable and then I added a second on another Displayport cable, so far so good, and then a third.  That's when everything went wrong.  The minute I inserted the third cable into the card all three screens went black.  I tried everything to fix it and nothing would get me all three screens functioning at the same time.  On a whim I decided to use an hdmi cable in place of one of the Displayport cables.  Voila!  All three jumped to life and to this day I have no clue why.  Unfortunately, I still couldn't get the screens to work at 144hz, which created an issues with a number of games.  I finally found a windows 7 asus driver file for the monitor and installed in place of the general pnp driver from 2006 that windows had installed.  That seems to fix things for the moment.  A month or two passed and I went to play doom two days ago.  The computer booted, the monitors wokeup and annouced that there was no signal and went back to sleep. So back to experimenting to try and figure out a fix.  I did everything. Tried to boot in safemode, tried to get into bios setup, reflashed the bios to an updated version, tried different combinations of cables, pulled the Fury X card and reinstalled it, the list is pretty long.  Finally, I pulled the Fury X and connected to the mb on board graphics with an hdmi cable.  I booted and got into Windows 10 and pulled up the drivers.  The asus monitor specif drivers were gone and replaced with the Windows generic pnp monitor inf file.  I tried to uninstall them and install the asus profiles, but Windows would pull the asus drivers and reinstalled the generic ones. I finally figured out that the Windows drivers were in a protected folder and that they couldn't be deleted and would just reinstall.  I killed the securities profiles for driver folder under System 32 folder and wiped out the Windows monitor driver.  I then reinstalled the asus profiles and then went back to reinstall the Fury X.  I booted up with only an hdmi cable attached to the Fury X and I got video. I tried to reattached another monitor with the Displayport cable, but no signal.  The monitor was recognized in the Catalyst Control Panel and in the Windows display settings, but still no signal.  However, because the AMD software recognized the other screen my desktop existed on both the functioning monitor and the non-functioning monitor, so I couldn't access anyting that opened on the part of the desktop I could not see.  Also, if I tried to use Eyefinity the AMD control panel would tell me that I had a link error and that the correct frame rates and resolution might not be accessible.  I shut down again and this time pulled the hdmi cable and just used one Displayport cable. I booted again and I got video for the connected monitor, but when I added a second Displayport cable I got the same problem as I did when using the HDMI cable and Displayport.  I should also mention that when I attached the third monitor with a Displayport cable the same thing happened as when I installed the second monitor.  I should mention that the AMD control panel and the Windows display panel both recognize the displayport profile and and the correct frame rates.

So, I am basically stuck with only one operating monitor and two that should be working, but still no signal.  Any suggestions other than going back to Invidia?