10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 12:50 PM by lysergic

RX480 kernel power 41

lysergic

I recently made a new build as follows:

Processor: core i5 6500k

Ram: 16gb hyper x ddr4

SSD: 180 GB Corsair

Motherboard: MSI z170a SLI Plus ( this is the second board i have tried)

GPU: 2x RX 480 crossfire XFX Black OC edition

PSU: Thermaltake 850w (also swapped out for a 750w same problem persisted)

Problem: Computer randomly restarts. No BSOD. A very generic error is supplied. Kernel 41. Loss of power, unexpected shutdown.

Troubleshoot: I have replaced the motherboard. I have tried a separate 750w PSU. I have ran two mem tests and I have ran the intel cpu diagnostic utility which both have came up clean.

Weirdness to take into account: One rx480 works fine on my old MSI board/PC. Although I cannot run two because this old cpu cannot handle both gpu's, i feel that they would run fine without crashing. On the first board that i returned it ran fine for 3 days and then just started restarting left and right with the same kernel power 41 error. The second board i got did the same thing. I ran overwatch on high settings all weekend without a crash. Then randomly while searching the net it started crashing every 4 minutes. When I reinstall the AMD radeon drivers it seems to stave off the crashing but only for so long.... I would love for AMD to address this issue. I don't know what else to try other than returning the cpu and or trying one stick of ram at a time. I have now just enabled compatibility settings on the cards and it crashed right after.

• Re: RX480 kernel power 41
          amdmatt

Have you run any stability tests on the CPU and memory? I would try lowering the CPU clock speed and the memory speed, just to rule out either of those as the cause of the issue.

I would then recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of 16.7.3, to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

lysergic

First I would like to thank you for your quick response. I have ran the

Intel CPU Diagnostics utility and my CPU passed. I have also ran several

memory tests with memtest86+ all of which were clean. I even ran the mem

test directly after a restart/failure and it came out clean. I have tried

two different PSU's. I might try my separate PSU again just in case, (Its a

750 watt). I have tried a new motherboard (returned asrock mobo and

purchased MSI). I have tried one stick of ram at a time. I installed my

spare nVidia card last night and it has been running fine so far.

The first time it crashed on the (NEW MSI BOARD that i replaced in order to

try and fix the problem) i did notice that the radeon drivers would not

successfully uninstall. Through several restarts and uninstalls/reinstalls,

I was finally able to uninstall the drivers and ran the AMD CLEAN UNINSTALL

utility. I then reinstalled the drivers with errors. Control center would

not start. So i repeated the uninstall process with the AMD clean

uninstaller and was able to get the drivers reinstalled and working. I will

try this DDU utility next. I ran the SFC Scanow and it said it found and

fixed corrupted files. What does this mean?

lysergic

Hey I'm going to do you one better. I am going to run the ddu cleaner and

then after i will uninstall My current PSU(850w thermaltake bronze cert)

has one 12v rail, delivering 840w. I will install that spare PSU i was

talking about (750 zephyr) which has 720W of power on 4 separate rails. I

will use separate rails to power each card. Wish me luck. And by the way i

have already done this on the old ASROCK motherboard with no success.

kaneos

Hey !

Same issue here :

Problem: Computer randomly restarts. No BSOD. A very generic error is supplied. Kernel 41. Loss of power, unexpected shutdown.

I precise that i acquired the card (RX480 Nitro + OC) 3 days ago and the problems start from here.

2 years now i had a 780TI and i never had a single problem with my PC. So the problem come from the RX480 for sure, hopefully software and not Hardware.

By the way, of course i have the same others problem than the other like blackscreens and 100% GPU Usage at IDLE.

Please fix thaht, id'ont want to regret to have bought a AMD card.

lysergic

Ok buddy I feel your pain. The Black Screen Of Death I was experiencing was due to a power supply issue. Now i am not sure what out of two issues it could be.

1- Power supply faulty not supplying even power and causing cards to lose power and restart PC

2- Power supply is too good and has a security feature that shuts the PSU off if something overdraws the PSU (which the RX480's are doing, read about the power issue fixed in one of the early drivers) They shifted the power overdraw from the PCI slot to the PSU.

Overview- I say this because the problem PSU runs my Nvidia GTX 660ti OC with no problems whatsoever. It's a thermaltake 850PSU bronze. The PSU that works is my backup zephyre 750 that i pulled out of an old PC case that was laying around work.

As for the BLACK SCREEN problem. This is still evident. For example whenever i get home from work after using teamviewer to remote into work, my PC monitor will awake from sleep but screen will stay black. Also when watching videos on youtube or internet browsers my screen will sometimes go black.

This is different than the power loss i was experiencing. The screen goes black but i can still activate the capslock light which means the PC is still running in the background and am forced to windows key+r and manually type CMD then shutdown -r in order to avoid hard cutting power.

I assume the random black screens are due to driver issues.

On a second note. I dont know if you play overwatch but if so please let me know if you are experiencing video stuttering lag. For example at the start of a game all the sudden the video is freezing for sometimes 20 seconds and then starts moving again. I'm wondering if i should revert to an older driver because this is a new problem.

sorry for spelling. Wrote this fast.

lysergic

RMA'd my cards. Everything works fine now.

lysergic

Hey everyone. Heads up! My kernel 41 power error has resurfaced after a month of working fine. I went straight out and bought a 3rd PSU in case the first two were bad and also got a new surge protector + UPS. No luck. Computer BSOD with no screen and auto restarted about 10 minutes in. I replaced the CPU and Ram, took the psu and UPS back to best buy as they did not fix the problem. I am 100% after 3 psu's that's not my problem. I have replaced everything in my pc except the graphics cards and hard drives. My main in an SSD. My PC has not restarted with the new CPU and ram installed "yet". But lets give it some time as the problem has a mind of it's own and appears/disappears at random. Overwatch has been unplayable for the past two driver updates. Consistant 30 second freezing in the menue screens and booted from matches due to inactivity before the screen even moves. Complete FPS drop/freeze for 30 seconds - 1 min at a time with the pc running fine in background. PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!!

kurupted

I've had the same kernel 41 error, and constant crashes without bsod, with my new rx480 in a new computer. I think it's clear from all the threads that this is a driver issue, unless AMD is producing so many faulty hardware units (which I doubt). You may want to try the latest driver, as that's what was just recommended to me. I haven't yet tried it, but you can follow my thread - Frequent random reboots when display driver is enabled

I feel like there should be a sticky for this and an acknowledgment from AMD that there's an issue with the driver.

Hopefully the new driver will resolve it (but I don't have a lot of hope).