6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 4:26 PM by mcrafter

Black Screen Crash After Installing New Drivers (R9 285)

mcrafter

I5 4690k

XFX R9 285

8 gigs ram

Z97 gaming-5 motherboard

EVGA Supernova nex 650W 80+ Gold

Windows 8.1 64-bit

1.7.3 (attempted)

Asus VH238H with DVI

I attempted to install new drivers yesterday as part of troubleshooting my R9 285 which has been experiencing some fan issues.  As the drivers were a year out of date, I wanted to update them to see if it would fix the problem before attempting an RMA through XFX.  However, once I installed the new drivers, the graphics card stopped working properly.  Whenever I started the computer, it would crash to a black screen shortly after logging into my account.  In order to fix the problem, I have to either disable the card very quickly after logging in, or boot into safe mode and run UDD to uninstall the drivers entirely.  I have attempted both the automatic and manual install methods (using device manager and selecting the driver .ini file), I have used UDD to wipe all AMD files for multiple clean install attempts, I've tried to use both the express install and the full install, and I've tried multiple versions of the software.  At this point I'm at a loss as how to go about fixing this issue and have no idea how to proceed.  I suspect that there is some underlying issue that is preventing the drivers from working properly, but I don't know what it could be.  As a side note, this only happens after a restart.  If I install the drivers but do not restart the computer, everything works fine and dandy.  It's only after a restart that I get crashes.

EDIT: Installing the drivers and then launching MSI Afterburner without restarting also seems to cause the black screen to occur.  In addition, I've gotten a few VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119) BSOD messages besides just crashing to black.  I suspect that this might be the root cause, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

• Re: Black Screen Crash After Installing New Drivers (R9 285)
          amdmatt

It sounds like the GPU could be faulty. Could you try it in a different system to see if the same issue occurs?

hybrid

Try older drivers (16.3 will be just fine,since Tonga GPU's have problems of black screens and driver crashes with the crimson drivers)

I have had the same issue with win 10 14.939.10 64x Pro

8750m

I tested some ways. Crasched sometimes at 16% installation or 33 % by flickering

Shutdown Computer dont help Black Screen and System hang on...

i have found a way for me to solve it, but the Driver dont fixed other issues that i have sience Win 10

Try this, donwlaod Amd Clean UP Utility (its alway in the install Folder)

Execute it, restart.

in System Manager / Hardware Manager show that the Videocard is not installed (yellow) if installed Automaticly try Uninstall with Right klick and uninstall with Software Checkbox

Win 10 must up to date, but Videocard not installed.

Than Downlaod / extrakt Crimson 1.6.7.1 install it normal way with all but Uncheck the "automaticly install drivers"

after installing Restart than Downlaod /extract 1.6.7.3 install it as Upgrade (not uninsatll 1.6.7.1)

make sure that "automatic install drivers" is unchecked (i make that cuz some drivers give me bad fps)

Now no Crash at install or Black Screen at Starting Windows for me.

But have not Full Screen sience Windows 10 build 10240 on Dirt Rally with my VGA monitor on Laptop , CSGO work only in Windowed FS mode with my Vga Monitor but only 1680x1050 (win7 give me Full HD 1920...)

If u have a Running louder Fan or 0.80V power in Desktop (if the Gpu dont turned off in 2D) close the Rapter and Plays Tv App in Windwos Task (need Configured in Catalyst/crimson that Energy is on loweer mode for this app but for Recording it needs Balanced mode i think)

getlogan

Yeah sounds like faulty graphics card.