3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 1:45 AM by amdmatt

GPU Glitching - Monitor Going Black

wasteomana

So I recently was able to put together and actually get my Xmas present going.  Unfortunately it worked for roughly 24 hours before it started having major graphics problems (or what I think are graphics problems).

While running if I do nothing, nothing bad happens.  If I, however, try to do anything beyond sit on the desktop (go onto the internet, open a program etc) The screen shows a graphical glitch and then goes black.  The computer appears to still be on with stuff possibly happening (not too sure on that account as I don't have a real way to test it).

My Card:

Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card

The rest of my setup:

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core, Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro, Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicke

Edit:
      Update- I loaded in safe mode and tried to ran the utility to remove all the AMD things I had installed previously.  Then downloaded new drivers and loaded them.  I think it is a driver problem as things seem to function in safe mode and the screen does not black out in normal mode until I install the drivers.

• Re: GPU Glitching - Monitor Going Black
          amdmatt

What you have described could indicate a faulty GPU.  I would recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of Crimson 16.7.3, to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

• Re: GPU Glitching - Monitor Going Black
              wasteomana

1. I did so originally, there were no corrupt files.  It is a clean installation of Windows 7.

2. I did so originally, they do not need repairing or reinstalling.
              3. Windows is up to date.
              4. I did this already.  I stated in the original post that I had already done this.

5. This was the driver package I installed originally.  I also tried an older package (15.11.1).  The problem persisted on both installations.

Those were all the steps I've already taken.  What are the next steps?  Currently the computer in question is at a computer repair store where they are taking the GPU out to test in another computer and putting a different GPU in my computer to try to isolate the problem if it is a hardware problem.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.