7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 3:56 AM by amdmatt

R9 290X Crossfire crashe within 5 minutes of playing

mohx4720

Hi,

Here is the issue, I had a single R9 290x Reference Card (Sapphire) and I got a good deal on a an MSI 290X Lightning so I bought it and made a crossfire setup.

Specs:

asus z87 sabertooth

i7 4770k 3.5ghz

32 Gb ram 1333mhz

MSI 290x primary and 290x ref. linked

CM 1000 VPro bronze PSU

couple of HDD and SDD

the only change is updating the drivers, after that games started crashing, I removed the reference card thought might be power/heat/whatever issue. I tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling shutting down taking the power off and pressing the power button for 10 seconds......the whole thing. I also installed two more fans in pull/push setup directly at the 290x to help cool it but nothing.

anyone facing similar issue? what are my options here

thank you

• Re: R9 290X Crossfire crashe within 5 minutes of playing
          amdmatt

Could be a driver or a hardware issue. As the issues started after adding a second card, a hardware issue seems more likely.

Have you tested each card on its own individually for at least an hour of gaming?

You can try a system clean up and a fresh driver install to see if that resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

1 of 1 people found this helpful