1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 6:42 AM by amdmatt

PC and Display Adapters Crashing When Playing Games

d0lphin_

So my brother bought a new computer. When he tries to play a game (tried with Skyrim and Oblivion so far) the screen goes black, often accompanied by buzzing audio, requiring a hard reset. Sometimes the program itself just freezes and alt-f4 can get out of it, other times it crashes and gives the error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". Just recently we're sometimes getting a "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".  Graphics drivers are up to date, I've also tried using older drivers, doing a clean install of the graphics drivers (using DDU and also AMD's uninstall utility software) and installing from scratch. I tried running Skyrim with no drivers and, despite getting 1 - 3 fps, didn't seem to crash, if that helps. I'm assuming I'm using the correct drivers - I've tried both the automatic driver updater and also through the manual selection. The PC isn't overheating, it has plenty of cooling and air flow. Does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Specs:

- Windows 8.1

- AMD A10-7870K

- AMD Radeon R7 240