11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 7:27 AM by bulldurham

New 16.7.3 Radeon driver problem

bulldurham

After updating, my video card almost did a meltdown when no graphic intensive programs were running. It went up to 90C. I had to take it off auto fan and put it on max to cool it back down. After it finally cooled off I put it on MSI afterburner fan control.

• Re: New 16.7.3 Radeon driver problem
          crazycarl

What card are you using?

bulldurham

I am finding that the auto temps are setting too high before they kick in. This applies to both the crimson and the gigabyte auto temp settings. I want to know what the optimal and maximum temps are for the R9 390. My only solution has been to do a custom profile in GURU II. Radeon doesnt allow you to set temperature triggers manually so you end up with the fan always set to the level you put it on. I may just use msi afterburner because i can see the temps in my taskbar.

crazycarl

Are the sliders for the fans locked? I have read a few of those. From what I see, depending on case airflow, the R9 390 should be between about 40c to 60c . My R9 280 Ocd sits at about 38c when idle and gets to about 65c when stressed. Though these are difference architectures. I will continue to look around and if it is a wide driver issue more and more should be popping up. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver or downgrading to the old driver? 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    bulldurham

When its on Auto they lock as they should because then its not user controlled but when unlocked the sliders are moveable ( its how I put it on 100% fan speed to cool it off).

No, I was not running more than one of the controller programs at the same time

I am considering doing a Radeon driver/software wipe and trying again

bulldurham

Ok, I completely wiped and reinstalled all the Radeon drivers.  First thing I noticed was after reboot it says wattman was reset to default after hardware failure (This model uses Overdrive not wattman). When the fan is set to off(auto) the speed sits around 30% and the temperature goes up to around 61C. When the fan is on and apply is clicked it does the same but you can see the slider moving as it adjusts temp. If you manually change the fan speed and click apply it stays there. If you put it back on off(auto) and click apply it goes back to fan hovering around 30% no matter how hot it gets under load. If fan is put back to on and apply is clicked it goes comes on at whatever temp the fan was at and stays there.

My guess is that Wattman is being added in phases and is conflicting with overdrive. Its common sense not to run two overclocking programs at the same time.

bulldurham

Been watching it on auto:

When the temperature goes above 60C the fan clicks to 35% and when it drops to 58C it clicks to 0% at Idle. This is an unacceptable base temperature to be keeping the card at. BTW there are no OC on the card other than the factory one. Base temp should be 48C not 58C. To anyone that says thermal paste a) its a new card b) if it was thermal paste the fan would run at high all the time to try and cool it off.

feverstriker

Not sure whats up but with my MSI 390x (THANK YOU AMD!!!!) even when I don't game I use Folding @ Home software which uses the GPU for calculations and at a 100% activity my fans are at about 45% use and temp is about 71c which I think is pretty normal for an AMD GPU. If it kicks up higher to about 72c then fans kick up to 51% and temp drops one degree. Basically this card is loaded almost all the time and I have not seen it surpass 75c yet.

syd.shepperd

Hello all. I came across your post and was really surprised. I have the exact same issue! And surprisingly, there aren't many threads over the internet. I didn't notice the issues after 16.7.3, as I didn't do much gaming in the past month. However, after the latest brilliant update from the geniuses from AMD (with the hotfix, 08/12), my GPU stays in Idle at about 72 degrees. If it's a really hot day, it goes up to about 75! If I do any gaming, it doesn't change the temperature. And again, I have the same error about that new brillian Wattman software! Reverted back to 16.7.3 - no change.

I've checked the fans and on Auto, they go to about 50% maximum when the GPU is in Idle at 75 degrees. I have to change the fan speeds manually to decrease the temperature.Did a clean reinstall with 16.7.3 - no change. I haven't reverted to anything previous to 16.7.3, but I will and will let you know if there are any changes. Also, I too have Global Overdrive instead of WattMan. This is definitely a software issue, as it got me worried it might be something with the hardware.

Forgot to mention that I have a Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X. Dusted the GPU really good when I noticed the issues. Didn't help. We've had some hot days recently, but nothing different than what we previously had this summer (and my GPU stayed somewhere around 37-40).Hope someone can help us with this!

bulldurham

I have not had the issue since I reset windows (completely unrelated) and reinstalled the crimson drivers. I did find out my card is designed to not cool till the temp goes above 60C which is silly but go figure. What would be more practical is if they would quit delaying the release of Wattman so I could actually set the temps that the fan goes on. I could use MSI afterburner or even the garbage Guru program that came with my card but I think doing it natively through Crimson would be more effective. There seems to be a reluctance to enable wattman on anything other than RX cards and some APU's right now to get people to upgrade but If I could have actually found an RX 480 when I was building my system I would have bought one. Even now they are sold out everywhere.