8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 11:22 PM by ambrose

Why The AMD Hate?

ambrose

Hello All,

Have been checking the forums out pretty regular lately, and I have a question?

When are the users of windows 10 going to start holding Microsoft responsible for a lot of the Mishaps that are troubling them when it comes to their Graphics drivers?

I only ask this question out of bewilderment, as I see a lot of these issues happen with users of windows 10, it just doesn't seem right to lay all the blame on AMD, maybe people should be sending some of that hate to Microsoft, and flaming them a little.

Sincerely, Ambrose

• Re: Why The AMD Hate?
          black_zion

Never. And if they did, they'd just ignore it the same way they're ignoring all the complaints about Windows 10 now.

cybrsage

People have already been laying blame and hate on Microsoft for the last few decades.  Heck, they were even sued (and lost) for giving away a web browser when everyone else was charging money for theirs.  Had they not done this, the graphical internet (world wide web) would never have taken off like it did.

oregon

I've been wondering this same thing lately. Especially since Windows 10 isn't as great as a lot of people were hoping it would be. More recently, I've had a driver issue with OpenGL in Win 10 64-bit that I was able to resolve, but wasn't surprised to see an issue with OpenGL & Win 10, honestly. Windows and The Khronos Group have never been the best of friends. I'm hoping that soon, people recognize that many driver issues, among other problems, are squarely on Microsoft's shoulders. Thanks for pointing this out.

brucer

I wish Linux would become the predominate OS for gaming. I'd switch in a second.

cybrsage

Will never happen.  Even Apple, which has been around forever, is barely a blimp on the gaming world.  Now that Microsoft has essentially merged the OS between PCs and Xbox, you can expect them to get even more games.

brucer

Then what will become of Vulcan if Microsoft and dx12 is the gaming os to have..  Microsoft will likely do something to hinder Vulcan on their OS so devs will use dx12 exclusively.

black_zion

That is not exactly true. Both Android (Linux) and Apple generate many times the revenue than Windows from games and are massive powerhouses in gaming. For example, take the current top 3 mobile games according to https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/  for the Apple iPhone

#

GamePublisherPriceRevenue
                            1  Pokémon GONiantic Inc.Free $1,872,154
                            2  Mobile StrikeEpic War LlcFree $1,485,129
                            3  Game of War - Fire AgeMachine Zone IncFree $1,166,064

You're talking about $4.5 Million per day just from Apple users from 3 games. You can easily double that figure by factoring in Android users as well. But let's contrast that with a Windows game, Doom 2016, which according to http://steamspy.com/app/379720 has about 950,000 users, and assuming each paid $60 that's $57 Million.

There is a difference though, as mobile games will continue to bring in revenue while Doom 2016 will face a steep dropoff as the number of people willing to pay that price run out and the price is cut to $50, then $40, then $19.95. Say that Doom 2016 makes $100 Million by the end of this year, Mobile Strike, even going with a lower figure of $1.25 Million per day, will have made more money JUST ON THE APPLE STORE in the same time frame, making $100 Million in just 80 days.

Are they AAA titles such as Doom 2016? Heck no. But how do you measure success? In terms of revenue, Apple and Linux trump Windows. In terms of users of games, again Apple and Linux trump Windows. In terms of making money for the distributor company (in this case Apple and Google), then yet again they come up trumps as no game sold outside the Windows Store makes a cent for Microsoft. So Microsoft is just left with its $60 per year Xbox Live subscription which they hope all 50 million Xbox One customers use, which you know they don't, with much more overhead than just Google and Apple sitting back and watching their commissions add up off other people's work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          ambrose

Hello Again Everyone,

WOW....... MS (  " I'm Your Pusher " ) talk about pretty well forcing gaming their way at these rates.

I understand that tech has to always strive forward but not everyone has a GFX card with DX12, or Xbox sub. etc.

I think everyone that has windows 10 should go back to windows 7, time for the people to stand up and say, " Sorry but we are tired of being beta testers.... "

Cheers All, Ambrose