62 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2018 11:26 PM by myvekk

Windows 10 is freezing when shutting down or restarting

lionelhorsepackage

I am on Windows 10 64-bit laptop with an AMD Radeon 7900M.

I just tried updating the drivers to the most recent version of 16.7.3. During the restart process after the installation was complete, my laptop essentially froze.

I manually shut the computer down then.

I booted the computer back up and I got back into Windows 10 just fine. However, now whenever I want to shutdown my computer or restart it, it freezes and I need to force it to shut down.

I ended up deleting the most recent drivers and reverting back to 16.3.2.

The problem has been solved under this version.

I am not too proficient when it comes to these matters, so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone else having the same problem with 16.7.3? Is this a problem with me or with AMD?

Thank you in advance

• Re: Windows 10 is freezing when shutting down or restarting
          amdmatt

Not had any reports of similar issues. You can try the steps below to see if it allows you to update to our latest drivers.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

nospheratu

I am also experiencing the exact same symptoms. I am running 7970M CrossFire as well.

All drivers after 16.7.2 causes Windows to freeze and BSOD when shutting down or restarting after the driver installs. The BSOD does not always display, sometimes the animated circle with the restarting text just freezes then its just a black screen. I have clean installed Windows 7,Windows 10 and Windows 10 Anniversary Edition multiple times to try and narrow down the cause and I've found that 16.7.2 is the last stable driver for me as well.

I have tested the below drivers

WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.7.2-July19 - Last usable driver does not freeze when restarting after driver install

radeon-crimson-16.7.3-win10-64bit - Freezes when restarting after driver install

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.1-aug4 - Freezes when restarting after driver install

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.2-rc4-aug11 - Freezes when restarting after driver install

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.3-aug30 - Freezes when restarting after driver install

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep7 - Freezes when restarting after driver install

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep13 - Freezes when restarting after driver install

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              nospheratu

I found another user on the guru3d forums providing feedback about the 16.9.1 drivers. Seems like the same symptoms with 7970M's. I can also confirm the non responsive brightness controls issue when booting into Windows after the crash occurred.

You can read their post here. Scroll down to post 30. I have also copied and pasted it below for easier reference.

Cave Waverider wrote:

Oh no. These drivers crash/hang at the "Restarting" Screen on my System when I try to reboot Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1706, build 14393.105 right now problem was there since before the Anniversary update, however) with my two Radeon 7970Ms 2GB Crossfire, just like any other driver after 16.7.2. The difference here is that previously, I could just install a newer driver without the Settings app (and use the one from 16.7.2 or earlier) and it would not crash/hang. With this version, this trick no longer works as it hangs regardless.

Also, for some reason the display brightness is dialed down to the minimum value and the brightness controls don't work after hibernation/hybrid shutdown.

Going back to the older 16.7.2 driver solves all the problems.

These drivers appear to be quite a mess for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                niedam

New driver and still the same problem. Back to 16.7.2.

lazyfox

Same problem here - I'm using M290x in Crossfire (which still always shows as HD8970M after two years!) and any version after 16.7.2 causes the freeze on restart bug. Tried the brand new 16.9.2 today in the hope that it has been fixed, but it's still there.

It's not the driver itself as installing a newer version of that while leaving the settings software intact doesn't cause the bug. That just randomly disables Crossfire instead!

Having to force power off the machine has badly corrupted my Win10 installation, breaking system restore completely to boot, and I've now had to do two full rebuilds of Win 10 from scratch, which has meant two days of very stressful downtime.

Very, very disappointing that this issue seems to have been ignored. I guess that's because it's just a few Crossfire users that seem to be affected, so we can't make enough negative PR noise to be worth bothering about!

niedam

I sold my 7900 CF cards, always problems. 10 years I have been your customer, enough.

nospheratu

I can also confirm 16.9.2 still exhibits the freeze on Windows restart bug with my 7970M CrossFire. As before, reverting to 16.7.2 resolves the issue.

myvekk

And it is still happening in 16.9.2...

Tried to contact AMD again, but the ticket I had has expired & now the email contact page just comes up blank in Chrome, Edge & Firefox.

This is on an Alienware 18 laptop with Crossfire R9 M290x (HD8970M according to the drivers) in Win 10 64 Home with i7-4910MQ & 16GB RAM.

-----------------

This is still an issue in 16.9.2 hotfix drivers. 

Created new System Restore point.

Installed update & disabled Crossfire.  Rebooted ok.

Enabled Crossfire, working properly.  Rebooted, froze during shutdown.

Forced off & restarted ok.  Disabled Crossfire & rebooted ok.

Tried rolling back driver, (only), via Device Manager.  Rebooted, ok.
                          Unable to enable Crossfire as Radeon setting crashes & resets after enabling it.  Used  System Restore to revert to 16.6.2.  Rebooted, ok.

Enabled Crossfire, ok.  Crossfire tested & working.  Reboot, ok.

It is not listed ion the "Known Issues" on the release notes.  Please notify the devs of this issue,so that it can be added to the bugs to be looked at and fixed.

Please also see forum thread for more details.

https://community.amd.com/thread/203914

No good.  Got reply that the ticket has expired & a link to the page to start a new enquiry: Global Technical Support

Problem is, when you use the link on that page, Email Form, I just get a blank page with no way to enter anything.  Tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge, all the same...

This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply.

Dear Customer,

Your update to Service Request SR#:  8200703091  was unsuccessful.

Since this Service Request has already been marked as closed, it will not be possible to update it.

If you are looking for technical support, please contact us by submitting a new Service Request via our service portal.

http://emailcustomercare.amd.com

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Any thoughts on another way to contact them & get it listed as a bug?

nospheratu

Thanks for sharing your experiences here myvekk

I would not bother with the customer email support honestly. From my experience they are limited to copy and pasting generic answers from a template and sometimes don't even bother to read your email properly. Rather submit a report at www.amd.com/report. You will not get an answer apart from an automated response but from what I understand the team gauges the amount of users reporting a similar issue before dedicating resources into investigating.

I have already reported it and provided a link to this thread. If you have the time I would urge you to do the same.

ray_m and amdmatt will also be able to assist us by opening an engineering ticket. As the ticket originates through them it's sure to carry more weight. ray_m was especially helpful with a previous CrossFire issue that I and other members experienced which was resolved.

Apart from your original thread I found two other threads of users reporting the same issue below.

HD 8970M - Shutdown and Wattman issue

System hangs on Shutdown screen, if any AMD Radeon driver is installed

myvekk

nospheratu wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences here myvekk

I would not bother with the customer email support honestly. From my experience they are limited to copy and pasting generic answers from a template and sometimes don't even bother to read your email properly.

I can't disagree with you there!  That's exactly what happened with the first email I sent.  I gave them the details of the problem and my hardware & got the response of:

> I understand that you are experiencing screen freeze issue with latest

> Crimson driver 16.1.1.

>

> Since you are experiencing problem with AMD provided driver, AMD

> recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's

> manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the

> built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook.

> Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook

> manufacturer's web site.

That was when I started to get annoyed by script monkeys, and my snark came out...

The OEM driver is 15.2... The AMD drivers worked perfectly up to 16.6.2,

which I installed and tested today. The Crimson 16.7.3 driver, however,

causes Windows 10 to freeze during shut down, ONLY when Crossfire is

enabled. Are you saying that a driver over 18 months old is better for

reference spec mobile video cards than the latest OEM WHQL certified driver?

After that they said they would pass it along to be looked at.  That was August 10, almost 8 weeks ago.  It is not on the list of known issues yet...

Filling out that form now.  I think I'll do it twice.  Once for 16.7.2 and again for 16.9.2 since they both do it.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.1 still exhibits this issue.

nospheratu

The new WHQL Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.1 (Released on the 13th of October) still exhibits this issue.

I've found a workaround which may help as it works on my system and allows me to use any of the drivers after 16.7.2 WHQL without the lockup on shutdown/restart. The problem seems to be ULPS again. My theory is that upon installation of the driver ULPS is enabled and when Windows tries to communicate with the secondary card during a shutdown/restart it is not responding.

Follow the below steps, hopefully it will help you as well until AMD release a fix.

1. Run DDU in safemode to uninstall your existing driver.

2. Install a driver that used to exhibit the issue but do not restart after the driver installation.

3. Disable CrossFire under Radeon Settings.

4. Using Regedit find all values named "EnableUlps" and set the data value to "0".

5. Restart your machine.

6. Enable Crossfire again under Radeon Settings (The CrossFire option will be available on your secondary card's tab).

7. Done. You should not experience the freeze/lockup on shutdown/restart again.

ray_m and amdmatt can you please log an engineering ticket for on behalf of us CrossFire users. It seems to be affecting mostly GCN 1.0 cards, both mobile and desktop.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    myvekk

Another success to verify EnableULPS as the culprit.  I had not had any problem until now so had never found out about disabling it before.  Thanks for the find!

I'm lazy though.  So in the interests of long term easy of update, since it exists in a total of 10 entries in each of CurrentControlSet & CurrentControlSet1, I exported the relevant keys from the registry CurrentControlSet, stripped the files down to just the EnableULPS entries & made the change there.  The entries are identical under CurrentControlSet & CurrentControlSet1, so that part was just a copy/paste & add the "1".  Now all I have to do is run the reg file after each driver update.  The exact keys may vary depending on model of card, I suspect, but for what it is worth, here is what I ended up with:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

"EnableUlps"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Services\amdkmdag]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdkmdag]

Also as a test, I just ran the update to 16.10.1 Hotfix straight over 16.6.2.  It still worked without issues.

I'll add this post to the other thread as well in case some there don't see this one.

nospheratu

The new WHQL Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.2 still exhibits this issue.

The workaround of disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

ray_m , amdmatt

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.11.3 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.11.5 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS before restarting the system after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire after the restart still works.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 16.12.1 still exhibits this issue.

On a somewhat "positive" note the below is listed under the Known Issues in this drivers change log.

• AMD Multi GPU configurations may experience a system hang or reboot during install when using tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

Hopefully once this is resolved it fixes our issue as well as the symptoms are the same although I am not running tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 16.12.2 (December 19 and January 3) still exhibits this issue.

The below is still listed under the Known Issues in this drivers change log for the January 3 release.

• AMD Multi GPU configurations may experience a system hang or reboot during install when using tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

Hopefully once this is resolved it fixes our issue as well as the symptoms are the same although I am not running tiled MST 4K or 5K displays.

myvekk

No fix in 17.3.1 either.

Yet another report submitted to AMD...

myvekk

I would give that a go, but as it still occurs after a clean install of Windows, (I formatted the drive), I don't think it will help.

It doesn't answer why it only started occurring as of 16.7.3 drivers & there was no problem until then.  Or why resetting the ULPS flags fixes the problem.  They would be turned back on during the clean install, so I cannot see how the update method would change that.  Can you explain how it might help so I can understand why a normal update causes this problem, please?

kingfish

This post has been severly hijacked. If you are referring to the original post...not the crossfire caca:

Switchable graphics have a working relationship.... and the drivers from each are/must be recognized by the other. New AMD Mobility drivers are tested/designed to work with the latest Intel drivers. Since Win10 is supposed to keep everything up to date, you would think the Intel drivers are the latest version..but that is not always the case. That's why I recommend running the Intel driver update tool

With laptops, there are so many things that can be affecting performance, most are the obvious things..like settings. Most people still have their computer power set to the default 'Balanced'.

Here are some thoughts as to settings:

AMD graphics performance

myvekk

Not really.  You see;

wrote:

I am on Windows 10 64-bit laptop with an AMD Radeon 7900M.

I just tried updating the drivers to the most recent version of 16.7.3. During the restart process after the installation was complete, my laptop essentially froze.

I manually shut the computer down then.

I booted the computer back up and I got back into Windows 10 just fine. However, now whenever I want to shutdown my computer or restart it, it freezes and I need to force it to shut down.

And that is exactly what I, and others, are experiencing.  In several of our cases, it only occurs when Crossfire is enabled, and for some reason that I cannot fathom, is fixed by using a registry hack disabling ULPS.

I read the other thread you linked & followed the instructions on un/reinstalling all video drivers.  No change.  Also tried Windows Selective Startup mode.  Still the same.

Run the reg file to disable ULPS.  All ok again.

Do you have any other ideas or suggestions on how this can be fixed, or who to contact to find out why it started happening as of 16.7.3 in the first place?

kingfish

The issue has been around for years. This post has been around for 6 years (transferred from the previous forum) and a hundred different drivers...so it doesn't seem to be driver or OS specific. ULPS: How to disable

Disabling ULPS is also credited with a faster computer start-up on Win10...especially with SSD's.

Of course all this is assuming the computer is set-up correctly to use all these improvements....you would be surprised how many people leave the most important settings at 'default' (power saving).

Edited:

myvekk

It's been there for years?  But it was working fine in Win 8.1 when I got this computer.  And was still fine until the update from 16.7.2 to 16.7.3!

Are you sure you are replying to the right thread?  This one started back in July 2016, when the 16.7.3 hotfix borked it for Win 10. 

So what I would like to know is why the sudden failure, (or return if this has been around for that long)?

maalsol

Hi! just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to keep this thread updated. I'm on an Alienware 18 with 2 m290x in crossfire and I was about to go crazy trying to figure out what was causing the freezings, and planning to go back to win 7 until I found this. Now I can at least shut down my system properly

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Relive Edition 17.3.2 and 17.3.3 still exhibits this issue.

Disabling CrossFire and ULPS after the driver install and then enabling CrossFire again before restarting the system resolves the issue.

Unrelated: Are any of you able to run any multi GPU DirectX12 applications/games? eg, 3Dmark Timespy

icehot

This is the closest thread to my problem which also gave me a solution.

I have an Intel HD 4000 + AMD 7970M in a Clevo P170EM. Windows 10 Creators update hangs at 32% when upgrading, I've also tried installing the creators update as a fresh install and it works until you try to install an AMD driver - it crashes so badly that you need to reinstall the OS.  Luckily I have a DVD containing the original Windows 10 build, which works fine, which works fine (For some reason it doesn't attempt to install it's own 7970m driver).

Now even though I only have a single 7970m, and not a crossfire, I tried testing the disable ulps thing mentioned in this thread, and it works!  I can now install the creators update.  I'm not certain how I'd do this from a fresh install, as I had the crimson relive drivers installed on the first build of windows 10, edited the registry then upgraded to the creators build which now got past the 32%.

So AMD really need to fix this, either they shouldn't be enabling ulps in the first place, or it's bugged on mobility cards.  Either way, they need to fix it, and submit the fix to windows update as well.  Figuring this out took 2 days of my time, due to constant reinstalls until I came across this thread and gave it a shot despite not being a crossfire problem.

nospheratu

I'm still experiencing the "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" BSOD issues with 17.4.3 so I cant say for certain if this driver will resolve this issue.

myvekk

17.6.1 problem still there, fix still works.

17.6.2 problem still there, fis DOESN"T work.

Went looking & found a heap of new entries in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\ whereas previously it was under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\.

So, added the new entries to the reg file & ran a global search & replace to set;

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

Now can reboot again while in Crossfire.  HOWEVER,  I usually use Uniengine Valley benchmark to quickly check graphics mode as when I'm in Crossfire I get 100-104fps & single mode gives ~50fps, (onboard gives 15-20fps), right from the start of the first scene  So it is easy to pick what moe I'm in & then go to reset it if necessary.  (Also there have been times that even though AMD Settings say Crossfire is enabled, it wasn't & I had to reboot to fix that.)  The problem is, now when I start it, it hangs, forcing me to manually power off, (system is totally unresponsive, drive light starts running flat out & fans start winding up).

edit:  It seems that the drivers may not be to blame.  I uninstalled the 17.6.2 & reverted to 17.5.1 and the benchmark still locks everything.  I have seen this happen on occasion previously, but now it is consistent.  Trying to System Restore to several days ago.  There were some Windows updates installed recently that might be related.

edit2: After the System Restore to 4 days ago, the new registry entries are still there.  Looks like they were part of the Windows update at some stage.  Reinstalled 17.5.1 after the restore, (and running the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility), reboots properly.  Trying a reinstall of Valley Benchmark to see if that will work...

New registry entries, and old, from combined file are below.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0000]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0001]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0002]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0004]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0005]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0000]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0001]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0002]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0004]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0005]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0000]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0001]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0002]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0004]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}\0005]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0003]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0004]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}\0005]

nospheratu

Sorry I'm not much help with feedback these days but I keep getting the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD's with the newer drivers. 17.3.3 is the last usable driver for me that disabling ULPS works on. My issue is definitely multi-gpu related and I suspect power management related as well as disabling the secondary card in device manager allows me to use the new drivers without BSOD.

edit 1: Downloading the 17.6.2 now and will update with feedback.

edit 2: No change with 17.6.2. Got the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD during driver install at the ReLive install stage (I dont use ReLive and normally click skip but never got the chance with the BSOD)

mikemercier

Like some people said I just tried this today on my Alienware 18 with the R9 290x ....

1. I ran the latest AMD Crimson Drivers (Radeon Software Version 17.4.4) ... (When installing make sure you use custom install and use the option clean install.)

2. The program will uninstall any existing drivers , Reboot and then install the newest drivers.

(DO THE OTHER STEPS BELOW BEFORE RESTARTING YOUR PC AFTER THE NEW DRIVERS INSTALL)

3. Disable CrossFire under Radeon Settings.

4. Using Regedit find all values named "EnableUlps" and set the data value to "0". You can do so by WINDOWS KEY+R, type regedit , Under edit use find and type ULPS. Use f3 to go to the next value to find all the "EnableUlps".  ******DO NOT CHANGE THE VALUE OF ENABLEULPS_NA******

5. Restart your machine.

6. Enable Crossfire again under Radeon Settings. and recheck in REGEDIT "EnableUlps value to be sure nothing changed. (On my computer for some reason after restarting after the new drivers installed I had a new "EnableUlps.

7. Done. You should not experience the freeze/lockup on shutdown/restart again.

Everything is now fixed I can shutdown and Reboot without having my computer to freeze again! That's all the step I did on my machine and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks to everyone who posted and found a fix for this issue, I am sure me and a lot of people in here are really grateful!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                        laformarua

I had solved if you don't ask me please, it doesnt matter wich driver u use only change the variables in Regedit as myvekk explained

myvekk

17.7.2 seems to have introduced a few new entries for me, so I had to update my reg file.  Full listing I have now is in the quote below.  New entries are the last 6 at the bottom of the list.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0000]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0001]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0002]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0003]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0004]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1FB223C9-C6ED-48EE-BF77-9CA580E567F1}\0005]

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{45B39B01-254F-4F4F-9481-8172DE1F4829}]

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

"EnableUlps"=dword:00000001

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

"EnableUlps_NA"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{D29C4C23-B3F2-4949-9ED1-C6FC1CBAF4FB}]

myvekk

Probably a final update for this one.  It seems to no longer require the registry hack to reboot without problem as of 17.11.1.

I ran into a bizarre problem in 17.12.1, where the laptop would turn off seconds into a game or benchmark... but only if I turned the laptop on while the battery was plugged in!  (Not a Windows shutdown, just a crash to power off.)  Start Windows with the battery unplugged & let everything load and run the benchmark or game, or then plug the battery in and run the benchmark, & it would be fine!?  After much stuffing around, I uninstalled the drivers completely & reinstalled 17.9.1 & reg settings.  All ok again.

Updated to 17.11.1, without the reg settings & it both shuts down ok with Crossfire enabled, but runs with no crash.

Updated to 17.12.2.  All ok now. 

I'm guessing the old ULPS disable hack was causing the crash somehow, but I have no idea why, or particularly why it didn't crash if the battery was disconnected during startup!