2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 11:45 AM by bad_sign

Jumping clocks with my RX 480 on Win7 64 Desktop and Crimson 16.7.3

bad_sign

My system: Win7 pro 64, i5 3570k@3.9 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 1866, AsRock Z77 Extreme 4,

XFX RX 480 8GB OC Black Edition (already installed Accelero Xtreme 4 on it) @ Crimson 16.7.3

Samsung U28D590D (DP, UHD)(on 480), Samsung BW2433 LW (DVI, FHD)(on iGPU HD3000)

i noticed some strange gpuclock jumps. I'm on desktop only radeon setting open nothing else. gpu is most of the time not in idle mode and ram has also a strange behavior.

gpu jumps between 300 and 1290 MHz, ram between 300 and 2000 MHz

my power meter jumps between 140watt and 210 watt (whole system with screens)

why isnt the gpu in idle all it has to do is to refresh the screen(s)

now i forced the gpu to 300 MHz with global wattman but i cant do anything against the ramclock :/

even with youtube 4k video the gpu is at 25% load with 300MHz

without crimsons clock timeline fps, frametime went down to 0 but gpu still jumps like before

Picture description:

FPS

Frametime

GPU1 Load (my RX 480)

GPU1 Coreclock (jumping between 300 and 1290 MHz)

GPU1 Memoryclock (jumping between 300 and 2000 MHz)

GPU1 Memoryload (~500mb stable)

• Re: Jumping clocks with my RX 480 on Win7 64 Desktop and Crimson 16.7.3
          amdmatt

This is expected behaviour and it happens on my RX 480 and my Radeon Pro Duo. Even at idle Aero will use GPU resources and so will using a web browser and watching online video. If you disable hardware acceleration in the web browser, the CPU will perform video playback and this will lower your clocks.

A note about power, memory power consumption at 2000Mhz is barely any different than at 300Mhz so it is nothing to worry about.

If you enable Power Efficiency and compatibility mode, you should find the GPU clocks will fluctuate less at idle and when using a web browser to playback video.

• Re: Jumping clocks with my RX 480 on Win7 64 Desktop and Crimson 16.7.3
              bad_sign

doesnt really help me.

my old nvidia 770 clocked at 135mhz on desktop and in videos ~408 sometimes ~700mhz(short peak), never its full clock thats how you save energy same goes for RAM.

i dont mind a gpu clocking up while a video is on the screen but even a 4k video is only 25% load with 300mhz, so there is really no need to set up a higher(full) clockspeed.

i tried power efficiency result: even in games the gpu ran between 300 and 1290mhz, frametimes were horrible. but this could be linked with the bad profile management from the driver. driver sees my installed games, makes profile but doesnt load it when i start a game. i have to add the .exe by myself and then start from the driver. at this point almost every game will start with its own profile.

i really love wattman it is an excellent tool but still beta, crashes frequently