5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 9:02 PM by brucer

Florida men sue Microsoft over "coerced" upgrade to Windows 10

black_zion

Florida men sue Microsoft over 'coerced' upgrades to Windows 10 | Computerworld

Three Florida men have filed a lawsuit in a Florida federal court against Microsoft, charging that the company "coerced" them into upgrading to Windows 10 and that the "unintentional" upgrades damaged their PCs, resulting in lost time and money.

The three -- Al Khafaji, Ahmad Abdulreda and Robert Stahl -- were the first to sue Microsoft at the federal level for running a campaign to get Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to accept the free upgrade to Windows 10. That offer expires Friday.

"Microsoft engaged in a reckless and negligent premise with catastrophic consequences for some of Defendant's customers whose devices were rendered useless and incapable of normal recovery operations," the complaint stated. "Plaintiffs were coerced into adopting Windows 10 or had Windows 10 installed in various unintentional manners with subsequent damage to their computers after which Plaintiffs sustained unnecessary and avoidable stress, confusion, loss of time and significant monetary damage all at the hands of Defendant."

The lawsuit asked for class-action status, which would make it easy for others to join the case, and if successful, share in any awarded damages.

Now before you think of this as a "hot coffee lawsuit" remember that Microsoft DID agree to pay $10,000 to the California business owner over Windows 10 and the problems it caused, Microsoft declined to appeal, and did not state they were innocent but decided to settle, so there is president set. Granted she won because of a California law, but it can still be used as evidence as they basically admitted their guilt by not appealing.

• Re: Florida men sue Microsoft over "coerced" upgrade to Windows 10
          brucer

If those guys win, there will be a class action.  I would bet on it if I had any money.

techguy

I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of enterprise lawsuits in process for MS's illegal update of corporate PCs to WIN10 and the resulting disaster and financial loses to these companies. If there isn't at least a half-dozen class action lawsuits in process for consumers who have been unmercifully SPAMMED by MS and tricked into installing SPAM under the guise of a "security update", it would be a miracle.

Then there is the FTC who so far has failed to perform their responsibility under law to protect consumers from all the above MS abuse and illegal access to PCs. If the FTC is called before Congress for their failure to issue a cease and desist order against MS and fines in the hundreds of billions, then some chairperson can expect to lose there job at the FTC.

Next up we have MS's refusal to provide proper patches for Win7-8 so that consumers as well as enterprise can run AMD Zen based products being released in 2016/2017 when MS is required to provide proper hardware support thru Jan. 2020.

oregon

I hope these guys win. Windows 10 has been causing so many problems for so many people. I had high hopes for it too, but I guess I was wrong. I'm on Windows 10, and had to troubleshoot so many different issues that were never problems for me before. This OS is super glitchy, and no one should ever have to upgrade who doesn't explicitly want to.

techguy

The points you make are precisely why MS will lose in court.

brucer

I'm serious about this, not plugging one company over the other.. But this is stuff amd really needs to focus on.... and it may or may not be directly related to windows 10, but I think it is..

I was running a Sapphire Nitro Fury for several months, it was always a bit problematic and the drivers were not very polished..  You can say Crimson is great and whatever, it is far better than the old software, but I can tell you first hand Crimson isnt that great.... I sold my Sapphire Fury and bought a zotac 1070.. I installed the 1070, now I have no more flickering issues, and the random desktop flickering are completely gone....  You can take it for what it is, call me a fan boy or whatever, I owned amd cards exclusively for the past 12yrs and the Fury forced me to AMD for my gaming rig gpu...  I also own a rx480 in my other machine, which is a backup/secondary machine and it is also a bit problematic as far as software issues that I do not like or care for, and the software is just too bloated for what it is.. There is no reason you should have to call up radeon settings, and then fumble through to Wattman to make changes in Wattman.. You should be able to access Wattman straight from the task bar and the individual profiles should not be on a separate page.. Wattman needs to have game profiles and custom profiles that are accessible from the taskbar that way you can easily make changes without having to fumble through radeon settings. Its stupid to have to open up radeon settings then fumble through to Wattman, also Wattman shouldnt take up an entire desktop, thats just stupid.

In my I5-6600k system, running the zotac1070 amp edition I have no more random flicker, and no more flickering in the youtube player window, completely gone..  I can go to the lower right in my taskbar and quickly pick from several different custom saved profiles, and the nvidia software also has individual game profiles just like wattman..  You can save several different custom overclock profiles and run them in succession directly from the taskbar, which is nice..