15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 8:31 PM by eversor

Radeon HD 7340 Driver

mfuller87

What's the deal with this driver on Windows 10? Has any progress been made on fixing all of the issues playing video? It's been one year since Windows 10 came out, and I still can't watch most videos without massive choppiness, freezing, and glitching on pretty much all browsers. Edge is the only one that I can use to watch stuff like HBO Now, but even then, it struggles at times and isn't guaranteed to work on other sites. I can't watch any video really on Firefox or Chrome because it's so bad. Sometimes videos won't even load. I have to use multiple browsers to do different things. It's ridiculous. I'm seriously on my last nerve here. I feel like I'm going to totally lose it one of these times and bash my computer to pieces with a baseball bat. My computer is also one of the ones where the Catalyst thing won't work, so I can only get driver updates through Windows update, leaving me unable to try the Beta version that came out back in March. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

• Re: Radeon HD 7340 Driver
          kingfish

These are the last/latest drivers for your card....> Legacy

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

mfuller87

I said in my post that I can't update drivers that way. My computer is one of the ones that the AMD installer doesn't actually give you the driver to install. It gives you everything but the driver, which is why I can't try the Beta thing from March. It does that in Safe Mode as well. I can only update if the driver is released as a Windows Update, so the current driver on my computer is from last August. It's driver version 15.201.1151.0. Is that the most current version?

kingfish

Just use whatever driver works. You will not benefit from newer drivers.

mfuller87

None of them work. That's the whole point of my post. It's been a year since Windows 10 was released, and you guys still haven't developed a driver to fix the problems I've had. In all honesty, I've had the same problems with your graphics cards on two different computers now on the last three versions of Windows. I thought it was just a problem with Chrome previously, but clearly that wasn't the case, as I'm having problems with everything now on 10. Another computer in this household running Windows 10 with an Intel card works just fine. I've already vowed to never buy another AMD product, but while I'm stuck with this one, I'd at least like you guys to find a way to make it work. I've literally had video problems with your cards for about five years now across Windows 7, 8, and now 10. It's beyond ridiculous.

mfuller87

Is it possible for you to provide me a download of the Beta driver by itself without using the installer thing? I can install individual drivers that way. I was able to do that last year when I was trying old drivers to see if they would work better. There was a list on the site of old drivers that were all just the driver itself.

hardcoregames™

maybe it's time to get a slightly more recent card?

mfuller87

My computer is only two years old, and I had the same problem to a lesser degree on Windows 8. On the computer before this one, I had the same degree of problem on Windows 7 as I did on 8. It wasn't always like that on 7 though. It just started all of a sudden, in hindsight I'm assuming after a driver update they had, and it never went away. I thought the computer was just going bad because it was seven years old, so I bought this one and had the exact same problem. The only thing they shared is AMD tech. Upgrading to 10 made it 10 times worse. Right after 10 was released, there were widespread video issues from the drivers for all different cards, but while many have gotten theirs fixed, I'm still sitting here a year later wondering if they're ever going to fix mine.

hardcoregames™

you may find the old Catalyst drivers are all you need

mfuller87

No drivers work on Windows 10, which is why I finally created an account on this site in order to leave a post. It's been a year. I'm fed up. I've also been having problems with AMD display drivers on the last three versions of Windows on two different computers, so it's not just me being impatient. AMD is terrible. I'll never buy another computer with their technology in it. We have another computer in this house with Intel inside, and it works just fine.

kingfish

Since you provided no useful info on your computer...answer this:

1. Laptop or desktop

2. Processor/APU

mfuller87

First I'd like to apologize for being kind of a jerk earlier. Text can't convey how seriously fed up I am over this. Not being able to do something as simple as watching a video on my computer for a number of years is enough to drive you into a state of rage, but that's not your fault and you shouldn't have gotten the brunt of my anger. I'm sorry for that. My computer is an HP Pavilion 23 All-in-One Desktop PC with an AMD E2-2000 APU processor and the Radeon HD 7340 graphics card, and it has 4.0 GB of RAM.

kingfish

I wish I had the authority to apologize for AMD. This could have been a short and sweet question/answer...but , AMD hides the most important requirement for posting on the forum > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION . So we go through all these hoops to offer a reasonable solution.

Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
                                    • AMD E2-2000 APU
                                    • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
                                    • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
                                    • AMD C-Series APUs
                                    • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu

1. Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
                                    2. Reboot the system
                                    3. Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.

ray_m amdmatt

eversor

The problem you describe is consistent with lack of hardware video decoding for newer codecs. It is not usually a driver problem.

Edge usually works fine (e.g. on Youtube) because it mostly only has H.264 as a modern codec, which is supported by these APU's video hardware decoder. It never gets sent VP9 videos because of no codec support, so it never falls to CPU decoding and everything runs fast. In other browsers that implement newer codecs, you get software decoding because of VP9/HEVC support, so everything slows down.

For Youtube, the solution is downloading the h264ify plugin for Chrome and it will run up to 720p30 fine - just be sure to enable "Block 60fps video". I just tested it on my HD 7340 laptop and it works fine. (Firefox 57 seems broken right now, which is how I got here.)

I usually use this video to test if everything is working fine: Halo 5 Guardians Walkthrough

Even older hardware with a hardware H.264 decoder - like the Radeon Mobility HD 3200 - worked fine with the plugin, on Windows 7, but would just be slow otherwise. 720p60 also worked here, without frame drops, but required dual channel RAM enabled by equal capacity DIMMs.

When it comes to other websites, there is work being done on the browser side to implementa a standard way to query video decoding capabilities, so you don't get served a codec or resolution that your CPU/GPU can't handle - most devices should get H.264 for good experience but get served more recent codecs. This work is ongoing and will take a while to be on browser's stable versions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful