2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 12:18 PM by felystar

AMD Radeon HD 8750M not being recognized

felystar

Hello. I have some troubles with AMD graphics being recognized my applications. First of all let's talk about my PC and I'll explain my problem later on. Here are my PC Specs:

• Processor: i5-3230M (2.6Ghz up to 3.2Ghz)
      • Graphics Card: Intel HD 4000 and dedicated AMD Radeon HD8750M (1GB VIDEO RAM)
      • RAM: 4GB

Here is the matter. I am trying to use OpenGL (by the way, OpenCL froze my PC last time I tried to use it with AMD graphics) in After Effects but it is not reading properly the Video Ram of the AMD graphics. I've tried using GPU-Z to see my GPU Specs and I found out that it can't either. Here is a screenshot from GPU-Z:

gpu.gif

As you can see the graphics card is not being recognized properly as it states I have no video RAM and the clocks have 0Mhz, and the bus width is not right either, as it should be 128 bit...

My tries:

I've reinstalled latest Intel drivers for my CPU (that means Intel HD drivers) and using latest AMD drivers provided by HP, Catalyst 15.201.1301-150819a-188741C-HP (latest AMD graphics, Crimson, wouldn't even let me open After Effects and kept giving me an OpenGL unrecoverable error...). This didn't solve the problem. I've already asked in HP and Adobe forums but nobody has given me any solution and I think it is due to something with switchable graphics thing. My only options were to disable Intel graphic (not available in BIOS) or to try to switch form Dynamic to Fixed mode in switchable graphics config. (however this is not available either).

After finding no solution at all I came to the AMD forums to ask why my graphics card is not being recognized outside the AMD Catalyst Control Center, because this app states perfectly my GPU's Specs and memory.

Hope you can help me,

and thanks in advance,

Felipe P.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 8750M not being recognized
          amdpete

You are using an ancient version of GPU-z, The current one is 1.9.0.  The OpenGL issue with Adobe After effects in conjunction with Element 3D is currently being investigated.  You would need to use Catalyst 15.xx driver sets if you are using that software combination.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 8750M not being recognized
              felystar

Okay, I've switched to v1.9.0 however it is still showing some problems. It says that DirectCompute is not available and DirectX installed version is 11.1 by dxdiag and DirectCompute is fully suported in this version, I think maybe that is what is lacking  and it's not letting me use After Effects properly. On After Effects these are my problems: Element3D says 0MB video ram (I have catalyst 15.2 drivers) and there is an option inside of AE (Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels) which needs 1GB Video RAM, OpenGL at least  on version 2.0 and Shader Model 4.0 or greater and AE displays that I have everythig that it's needed, but I can't enable that option. I think that maybe DirectCompute not being available on the AMD graphics may be the reason, because it  is available on the Intel one and maybe that's the reason why After Effects says I do have v4.0 or greater as well as it says I have 2.97GB of VRAM (which I tested and 1GB is from AMD)

gpu.gif

By the way, when you say the Element3D problem is being investigated you mean compatibility with Crimson drivers, right? Or 0MB VRAM?

And I don't know if it has something to do with this but in dxdiag I cannot see my AMD graphics anywhere...