6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 1:04 AM by jim330

Windows 10 flicker with Radeon HD 7660D

jim330

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10, and it worked, but the screen flicker (groups of horizontal lines that flicker whenever there is any screen movement) is making it close to unusable.  I'm wondering what I can do besides rolling back to Win7?  I've tried several different AMD drivers as I'll explain below.

Interestingly, I found somebody else with nearly the same HP PC and Radeon HD 7660D with the same problem, who posted a video to YouTube displaying it.  Here's the link:

HP Pavilion P7-1241 AMD Radeon HD 7660D - YouTube

The AMD FAQ says this graphics card is Windows 10 compatible:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/285

My PC:

Desktop PC:  HP Pavilion P7-1240  (approximately 3.5 years old)

Full specs link:

HP Pavilion p7-1240 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Was: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Now: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Processor: AMD A10-5700

10 Gb Memory

Integrated Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Monitor:  BenQ G2220HD  (I also tried a five year old ViewSonic monitor I had borrowed; no difference)

The display and graphics were fine in Windows 7.  Problem started with Windows 10 upgrade.

At first it used the same driver as with Windows 7.  I tried using Windows Update and it installed a newer driver "from AMD", dated sometime in 2015.

Problem continued.  Rebooted; retried again.  Tried updating the display driver again and it said I had the newest.

From AMD, I've tried both of these drivers; problem continues:

Catalyst 15.7.1

Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1

Tried both as downloaded from this page:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

So I'm currently using the Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1.

Windows Device Manager shows:

AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

2/26/2016

Version: 15.301.1901.0

Note the "flickering" happens during login, in any app I try, and with no apps running (just moving the mouse around the screen).  However, if I play a YouTube video in web browser or play a local mp4 video, there is on flickering at all!  Not sure if that helps.

The one other thing I tried was suggested by the YouTube user in the video linked at the top.  I disabled the AMD driver and used 'no driver', and strangely enough, the flicker goes away and I retain the crisp graphics in 1920x1080 resolution.  However, after a restart or cold shutdown, Windows 10 starts with a basic windows video driver in 1440x900 or even 1024x768 sometimes.  Once Windows is fully up,  I can re-enable the AMD driver (I tried this for the Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1, the Catalyst 15.7.1 and "Window's AMD" driver), and it will work again complete with flicker. Which I can then again disable ....  So unfortunately, not a permanent solution, especially since there are other users of this PC besides me.

Any help, assistance, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

• Re: Windows 10 flicker with Radeon HD 7660D
          amdmatt

How is the display connected to your Motherboard? Are you using any adapters or dongles? Are there any alternative connections you could try?

The integrated GPU inside your APU has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

The latest Crimson driver for your system is 16.2.1 and is available here.

The last Catalyst driver for your system is 15.11.1 Beta and is available here.

I would recommend using DDU to sweep your system of AMD drivers, and then trying the drivers above to see if they resolve your issue.

jim330

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Radeon HD 7660D is integrated into the motherboard (full specs in the HP link above).  I haven't made any hardware changes or additions to this PC.  So this is an "off the shelf" desktop with popular HP hardware.  So hopefully any testing AMD did a year or three ago would have hopefully included this hardware configuration or something similar.

I've tried both of the latest Crimson and Catalyst drivers mentioned; similar flickering (the Crimson has the least flickering).  In fact, I took them from the same pages you included above.

I will try using DDU later today, and then try again with the two drivers and if that doesn't work, then probably whatever driver Windows Update comes up with.  I'll reply to this thread, thanks!

jim330

Well, no luck unfortunately.  *sigh*

I used DDU to clear all drivers (in safe mode) and restart, but once I installed the Crimson (or on a second full go-around, the Catalyst driver), the flickering returned.  Same as before.

BTW:  DDU allows Windows Update to replace the basic driver with whatever AMD driver Windows considers the latest, so it took me two tries to realize that, and to quickly install one of Catalyst or Crimson before Windows installed one.  (windows Update works silently and installs it without asking!  Grumble...

Matt: do you or anybody else have any suggestions?  Thanks,

jim330

kingfish:  I managed to disable Windows update from updating my driver.  I then cleaned up what I could and then used DDU to clean everything (in safe mode).  I then installed the AMD Catalyst driver.  The flicker returned.  Tried again for Catalyst.  Same problem!  Arrgghh.

So anyway,  I gave up and rolled back to Win7.  At least my display driver works fine.

Matt:  nope, not a gamer.  I am a Software Developer (.NET, Java, etc. for business applications, mostly back end).  I use my work PC for real work, so my home machine is mostly for casual use.

thanks for all the advice!