AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows 10 flicker with Radeon HD 7660D

Question asked by jim330 on Jul 26, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 by jim330

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10, and it worked, but the screen flicker (groups of horizontal lines that flicker whenever there is any screen movement) is making it close to unusable.  I'm wondering what I can do besides rolling back to Win7?  I've tried several different AMD drivers as I'll explain below.

Interestingly, I found somebody else with nearly the same HP PC and Radeon HD 7660D with the same problem, who posted a video to YouTube displaying it.  Here's the link:

HP Pavilion P7-1241 AMD Radeon HD 7660D - YouTube

The AMD FAQ says this graphics card is Windows 10 compatible:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/285

My PC:

Desktop PC:  HP Pavilion P7-1240  (approximately 3.5 years old)

Full specs link:

HP Pavilion p7-1240 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Was: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Now: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Processor: AMD A10-5700

10 Gb Memory

Integrated Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Monitor:  BenQ G2220HD  (I also tried a five year old ViewSonic monitor I had borrowed; no difference)

The display and graphics were fine in Windows 7.  Problem started with Windows 10 upgrade.

At first it used the same driver as with Windows 7.  I tried using Windows Update and it installed a newer driver "from AMD", dated sometime in 2015.

Problem continued.  Rebooted; retried again.  Tried updating the display driver again and it said I had the newest.

From AMD, I've tried both of these drivers; problem continues:

Catalyst 15.7.1

Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1

Tried both as downloaded from this page:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

So I'm currently using the Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1.

Windows Device Manager shows:

AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

2/26/2016

Version: 15.301.1901.0

Note the "flickering" happens during login, in any app I try, and with no apps running (just moving the mouse around the screen).  However, if I play a YouTube video in web browser or play a local mp4 video, there is on flickering at all!  Not sure if that helps.

The one other thing I tried was suggested by the YouTube user in the video linked at the top.  I disabled the AMD driver and used 'no driver', and strangely enough, the flicker goes away and I retain the crisp graphics in 1920x1080 resolution.  However, after a restart or cold shutdown, Windows 10 starts with a basic windows video driver in 1440x900 or even 1024x768 sometimes.  Once Windows is fully up,  I can re-enable the AMD driver (I tried this for the Radeon Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1, the Catalyst 15.7.1 and "Window's AMD" driver), and it will work again complete with flicker. Which I can then again disable ....  So unfortunately, not a permanent solution, especially since there are other users of this PC besides me.

Any help, assistance, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Outcomes