24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 1:05 AM by deathpk

AMD R9 380 Keeps crashing

ahmedramzy

Hi, I am finally done with my new Skylake build, I am using a single Sapphire R9 380 with an I7 6700. I have already tested some games on my machine and the performance I am getting is really nice, but I am concerned about some continuous issues with some games, while playing my screen goes all blank red color, my CPU freezes, and I have to restart my computer, sometimes games just crash to desktop. I am using the latest Crimson drivers from AMD 16.7.2 on Windows 10 x64. I have also checked many benchmarking tools and tested my CPU & GPU, ran intense test, stress test for my GPU and burn test for my CPU, all are fine no crashes or overheat. except for this issue, I need help.

• Re: AMD R9 380 Keeps crashing
          mbk1989

Hello! I had the similar issues. I recommend you to delete .exe file of your crashing game then make integrity check with Steam (or other platform). Then, .exe file will be downloaded again. You can also try to reinstall directx files located in your game folder. I think this issue is caused by corrupted game files alonside Crimson drivers. Good luck and let us know!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            amdmatt

We are currently investigating reports of no signal and display driver crashes for R9 380 GPU users, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

As a temporary solution, you can try using Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta.

eugix

thanks. i have the same issue since the first crimson drivers... I also have a Sapphire R9 380 and i've waited for a solution for a very long time

amdmatt

I understand, we continue to dedicate engineering resources to reproducing and fixing this issue.

cheekibreeki_iv_damke

iv'e also been experiencing crashes ever since the crimson software, updates, and im using the 280X!

hloukao

Matt, I'm looking forward a solution or partial solution about this problem, I'm searching throught forums for a long time. The 15.11.1 driver didn't solve the problem, that exact same problem. I too have a R9 380 and I'm getting frustrated because I can play a game with no problem for like 5 to 10 minutes. Then crash.

Besides the 15.11.1 driver do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks.

fogiatto

I read on some forums that this failure is related to UEFI BIOS.

When your motherboard is not UEFI, you have problems.

If you have UEFI motherboard, then you have no problems.

I have a ga78lmt-usb3 rev6.0 (wich is  not UEFI), and I have black screen  problems. Maybe it's a real chance?

It's been seven months, it is good to know that you are still looking for a solution

terry8750

my asus z87 pro has a uefi bios and i still have problems.just thought i would share that with you

fogiatto

Thanks for sharing it guys. I have 5 months warranty, and am considering sending my card to gigabyte until they give my money back. AMD has been unable to solve the problem (been months, 7 months), and I will not get stuck with something that does not work properly or does not have support.

My friends always told to me "stay away from AMD."

At the beginning of the problem I believed that AMD did not know that, and would be able to solve. But been seven months, and the problem continues.

They release RX480 with a energy problem, how the engineers do not know about that?

Maybe i'm a little paranoid, but i'm starting to get away from amd.

Here, in brazil, we say something that translated sounds like "cheap is expensive".

ahmedramzy

Dude I totally agree with you, ever since I have used AMD I had nothing but driver related issues, my laptop had a dedicated AMD card, I have been using my laptop for year and years (around 5 years now) and guess what, never played a single game before getting into panic with drivers, windows crash, display goes blank, game crash, memory dump, I fee l frustrated about that, 4 to 5 years fighting with driver in different operating systems and still no resolution, finally before I made this PC build my GPU ended up fried into my laptop - RIP

deathpk

Tamo junto cara!!!, quase indo pro lado verde da força...

mbk1989

I have uefi bios and i have black screen issues...

tchalikias

This is good to hear amdmatt, perhaps the next owner of my R9 380 will be able to play games with it sometime in the future.

My issue right now is:

RMAing the card will apparently not make any difference, since this is clearly a driver problem. The best I've managed with this card is with the 15.7 drivers, where I can manage to get to a game's menu or even load a savegame before it crashes. While stress test programs like FurMark can run for hours on end without issues.

So I'll have to sell this unusable card and obviously lose money in the process. Not to mention that it simply doesn't feel right selling a card to someone while knowing that they're going to have problems with it.  It's been a year since these issues were first reported and we're still not any closer to a solution. Shouldn't AMD compensate those owners who have bought a -supposedly- gaming card and are unable to game with it? I.e. offer to take the defective cards back and refund the owners (since AMD writes the drivers, this is not the vendors' fault).

mbk1989

I think that solving this issue asap is more than enough. Maybe they can offer Doom or something for those who cannot play games without issues .

ahmedramzy

Totally agree, I'd hate to say that I wasted $250 because I am the one who decided for the second time to stick with AMD, I don't know why maybe my budget said that, however to be accurate, I don't get what I have paid for, it's not even a good utilization for the card performance, if you look at the card from a hardware prospective, and the performance it gives you will kinda feel good about it, but the actual utilization is not even 60%. I have tested everything on this card, but when it comes to gaming I am afraid to say that I'd go for something else with the same price (even If I am going to pay a little bit more for something that doesn't give me headache). Sorry AMD as a customer lost confidence in your cards.

xboxshqip

Matt these random black screen while in game are commune for 390 users as well.

And now we have to deal with ever more crashes while not begin in game at all.

insaluur

I'm having the same problem, but i have more specifics
                                            R9 280.
                                            Crashes when i have battle.net app (blizzard entertainment) and chrome at the same time, probably when i'm watching Youtube or Twitch.
                                            Updated the new driver today 07/28 and when i start Overwatch the screen either shuts down (not the monitor) or goes white with some red stripes on it.

ahmedramzy

I tried at least 5 different drivers so far includes this one, nothing happened, I really like the AMD card, however such things sometimes makes me feel down about my choice, not because of the money I paid for the card, but for the bad experience that I am getting, a customer should feel grateful about the product when he buys it, but unfortunately I didn't feel such feeling when I used my card.

insaluur

Updated my new driver, now i'm getting like 10 FPS in all games, when they don't cras.. DOOM, Overwatch, WoW...

huutoo

I am also having issues with R9 380 card, after it updated drives few days ago. I play mostly world of tanks, and everytime I quit, I either have bsod of reboot without any warning. Also some graphical issues in game, from time to time.

tchalikias

Thankfully the people at Amazon were awesome and upon return of the card, refunded me the everything, even return shipping, a year later!

Sapphire support recommended I do this, since the techs there are not so sure it's a software issue. So if you can, just RMA your cards and get something from Nvidia.