6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2017 7:57 AM by linuxcat

RX480-8G Artifacts Massively in Second Life

uzpcustoms

Under Stock GPU/Memory Clocking, with only a more aggressive Fan Profile, within the Metaverse game called Second Life by Linden Lab, endures a weird type of "Artifacting" on the screen. This is identical to an unstable overclock on memory that causes the white and colored pixel snow across the screen. I have no issues running the same Ultra Settings on the R9 390, but the RX480 just cant pull the shader loads, even when it has more than the R9 390. AMD... What Gives? Its acting like the Memory is clocked too high, but there is no way to underclock the memory below 8000MHz, not even to 7,000MHz like the 4G model. Maybe this is a driver issue?

Below is a Screen Capture of the artifacting when utilizing the Shaders, with 2X AntiAliasing, Ambient Occlusion with Complex Shadows and Anisotropic Filtering, Advanced Lighting Model and Hardware Skinning. The pizels run at a 45 degree decline from upper left to lower right with multiple colors.

• Re: RX480-8G Artifacts Massively in Second Life
          amdmatt

Thanks for the post. We'd like to learn more about this issue, please submit a bug report.

uzpcustoms

The RX480 I was using was on loan from a personal friend. The only way to continue development on this game platform is to acquire a personal RX480. I have the issue isolated to one specific area, but with no ability to test the new code and contribute to the AMD Driver Fix, I must soley rely on AMD to sort this issue at the time being

amdmatt

What area of the game would you recommend to reproduce this bug?

uzpcustoms

The new Beta Drivers has the game unstable at any time. Driver crashing is more now than ever.  The issues happen pretty much anywhere. Since returning the RX480 I had on loan, I can no longer debug this on the client side.  I am trying to reach out for a sample so I can continue platform research on a possible fix on our client side. 
                      In the preliminary stages it appears to be an Open GL configuration issue. I am in contact with the Director Of Engineering at Linden Lab and he is awaiting a Release Version for the fix, as it is a widespread issue. I am also sharing notes with my community of Develops about this issue.
                      Is there anyone I might be able to talk to at AMD to request a sample? As of now, it is happening with all of the RX series drivers so any card could help me immensely.

Thanks for your help in this issue. Thousands of people are awaiting our fix on this.

Keiko

owner of UZP Customs

jafbelo22

i have the same problem, there is no solution yet ?

linuxcat

As far as I know there is still no solution to this as at 10th June 2017.

I bought a RX480 8GB from Amazon - found this problem and returned the card the next day. I commented on the web site I bought the card from that it didn't work with Second Life at that time and Second Life users should avoid this card until the issue is fixed and I got a stream of abuse about having the temerity to play a game that still uses OpenGL. Stating that the problem wasn't the card, it was me for being so stupid (this wasn't from AMD but from other users).

To state the card supports OpenGL and then not fix this massive OpenGL driver issue for so long means that I have to purchase from Nvidia.