6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2017 9:10 PM by stone_age

r9 fury nitro on X48 = no boot

darklite

Hi,

Has an X48 Platinum motherboard and I just bought a R9 Fury Nitro video card but the PC does not boot. The motherboard hang on "DRAM".

How to boot the PC with this new video card please?

Thank you.

Pc

MB : MSI X48 Platinum

CPU : Intel Quad Core Q9450

RAM : x2 DDR3 Corsair CM3X2048-1600C7DHX

New VGA with no boot : Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Nitro Tri-X OC - 4 Go HBM

Old VGA : 270X

Very old VGA : 4870X2

• Re: r9 fury nitro on X48 = no boot
          amdpete

If your card has a small switch on it to change it from UEFI to legacy boot mode then use that (while the power is off) and then turn the system back on.  Not every manufacturer did that though as far as I am aware.  Alternately get a different card which supports legacy BIOSs or get a motherboard that supports UEFI.

darklite

Hi,

An UEFI bios is required with this video card ?

It's not specified in the required system.

Thank you.

amdpete

As far as I understand it, it is upto the manufacturer as to what BIOS(s) they install on the cards, they can either go legacy only, combined UEFI & Legacy or UEFI only.  UEFI only gives the fastest boot times.  Eventually at some point things will be UEFI only I would imagine.  Using a legacy only GPU BIOS means that UEFI BIOS motherboard owners have to use CSM module driver in their BIOS which slows down their boot times.  Using a combined legacy + UEFI firmware means some legacy motherboards refuse to work with the cards since they can't interpret what it is.  Using a UEFI only BIOS means no legacy motherboards can run a card at all.  So no option is perfect for every possible system really.  That's the problem when things are in this between stage of technology.

If it were me I would get a UEFI motherboard since that would offer the most compatibility going forward since you can use both legacy and UEFI cards but that would mean getting a new CPU and RAM too most likely.

stone_age

I have to agree with amdpete. As a test I just tried 3 sapphire cards, a RX 460, a R9 380X and a R9 fury in my Abit Kn8 SLI (socket 939 with award bios) No boot. I also tried my EVGA GTX 570, no boot either. I did try my Gigabyte R7 370, and it booted right up. I have a feeling this may be a award - phoenix issue, but I don't know if your board is award or AMI. I know those cards work on AMI as I have a old 2009 X58 server board that I have used them in and that is AMI but not UEFI. They have also worked in all my old Asus non UEFI AM3 motherboards.