2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 4:17 PM by markiemarcus

Dead Rising 3 - Performance regression in Windows 10

markiemarcus

Hi all.

I'm experiencing a strange performance regression in this game when running under Windows 10. Essentially when traversing the world, especially when driving, it stutters and freezes constantly for 500-1000ms, not unlike when you're starved of VRAM or the hard disk is too slow, except that I have 8GB of VRAM and these particular mechanical drives are reasonably fast and defragmented. Frame rate is otherwise reasonably good. I have noticed this problem since Windows Threshold 2 and sadly I can recreate it across multiple machines and AMD GPUs. It only manifests itself under Windows 10, Windows 8.1 performance is normal. The problem is almost as bad on minimum settings at 720p as it is on highest settings at 1080p. Sometimes things are normal for 10-30 seconds, but then it starts again. It's unplayable, and not in that "ewww 30fps" sort of way, actually unplayable.

My specs:

Windows 10 x64 (fully up to date).

Intel i5 4570.

RX 480 8GB, R9 290, HD 7870.

2TB Seagate 7200rpm.

16GB 1333mhz DDR3.

16.7.2 Crimson.

Coolermaster RS650 PSU.

My second rig is almost identical with the exception of 16GB 1600mhz DDR3.  Moving from any of the AMD GPUs I own to the GTX 670, modest compared to the RX 480 and R9 290, this stuttering does not occur at all. It also does not occur on my AMD GPUs when running Windows 8.1 (I have a dual boot set up). All clean installs that are up to date.

Things I have tried:

Disabling Game DVR in Windows 10.

Disabling Windows Defender.

Disabling Shader Cache.

Running Dead Rising 3 with its default 30fps cap and without.

Does anybody else have this problem? Any help would be appreciated; what concerns me is that I can recreate it across two different machines and multiple AMD GPUs, but things are normal in Windows 8.1.

Edit: Running the game from my SSD makes no difference.

Message was edited by: Mark Todd

• Re: Dead Rising 3 - Performance regression in Windows 10
          markiemarcus

Upon closer inspection in Task Manager, it seems the problem may be related to Windows' memory management, specifically "System and compressed memory" which shows quite a bit of activity when running this game. It's supposed to only kick in when it senses "memory pressure", but the game is barely touching my system ram. 70% of it is free.What's even more strange is that this doesn't cause issues on Nvidia GPUs. Wouldn't be the first time this has come up; Arkham Knight was affected by this under Windows 10 also.

• Re: Dead Rising 3 - Performance regression in Windows 10
            markiemarcus

OK so I've now checked it with RTM Windows 10, pre TH2. The same issue exists but without the "System and compressed memory" activity. I now strongly suspect this is a driver issue which would explain why it doesn't happen with my GTX 670 and why it also doesn't occur with AMD or Nvidia under Windows 8.1.

Again, this is across two different systems, same results.