4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 3:32 AM by amdmatt

Framerate issues with Radeon HD 7970 w/ HTC Vive

remclone

Hi!

I'm experiencing serious framerate issues with the HTC Vive.  It's so bad that it makes me feel sick when I use it.  I can actually see the black refresh lines on the unit when it appears.

I'm certain this is a software issue because I have at times managed to get the headset working correctly - when it is, the framerate is much much better and the unit is a joy to use.

It used to be that the framerate problem would appear if I left any of my monitors switched on when starting up steam VR.  For some reason, doing this would cause the monitors to flash once while the O/S reinitialised the display.  After this happened, I would receive appalling framerate with the unit.  So my solution to this was to always make sure all the monitors were switched off when starting steam VR.  As long as I did this, the framerate was great.

Unfortunately, HTC have pushed a software update some time in the last week that seems to have broken my workaround.  Now it doesn't matter whether I have the monitors off when I start steam VR or not, the framerate issue always appears.  This has made the unit unusable for me.

My video is fine as long as I'm not using it with the Vive (i.e. I can use eyefinity fine)

My system is:

Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB DDR5 PCI-E Video Card

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.2 GHz (Hexcore)

64GB RAM (RipjawsX DDR3 1866MHz CL9 PC3 14900)

SSDs (multiple)

Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO

500W EarthWatts PSU

3x ASUS VE278 (although the problem still appears with these disconnected)

I've noticed the framerate issue in 'Raw Data', 'The Lab', 'Portal Stories VR' and pretty much any other title that does anything of graphical significance.

I am running the latest drivers for my Radeon (16.7.3).  The Vive components are on the latest available firmware and both SteamVR and the Vive Software are up to date.

Thanks!