6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 5:16 AM by bwendal

Black screen when opening games

bwendal

Hello

I'm not sure if this is where I should be asking this but its a start.

So, I have a hp Pavilion dv6-3131tx with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics card and AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series card) and after upgrading to Windows 10 all my games were running slow. I figured it was due to HDD space so I did a disk cleanup (including system files as I decided I wasn't going back to Windows 7). After doing this I decided to fiddle around with my graphics options (on both cards) to maximise performance.

However, now most of my games now open with sound in the background but its a completely black screen. It sounds like everything is working fine in the background (even the mouse pointer is working and is in the shape of the games mouse pointer) but its just a complete black screen. This seems to only happen with demanding games like a racing game or a sim like Truck Sim or train sim. Other games such as spintires and hotline miami work fine. I could find literally nothing similar to this problem anywhere online somI really hope there is a fix for this!

I should also mention I tried to disable my Intel HD graphics card in device manager when I was trying to work out how I can make my ATI card my default card because I am pretty sure all my games were running on the Intel card as they all seemed very slow compared to when I played them on Windows 7. After I disabled it my screen was almost completely black, but I could just, only just, make out what I was doing and was successful in re-enabling the card. This almost completely black screen also happened when I did it the other way around.

Thanks for any help, anything is really appreciated!

Brendon

• Re: Black screen when opening games
          amdpete

Disable then re-enable the PNP monitor driver in the device manager and or disable adaptive brightness.

bwendal

Hello

Thanks for replying and the help. I tried your suggestions but it did not work, any ideas are really appreciated and I hope I can resolve this as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help

Brendon

abi

afterbuner probably messed up your drivers...you need to make a clean driver install by enter windows in safe mode, uninstall using DDU software and then reinstall drivers on windows

bwendal

Hello

thanks for the suggestion, I'll be certain to try it when I get the chance. May I ask if you could please point me towards a step by step tutorial for this as I am not all that familiar with using DDU software?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Brendon

knowengine

Hello,

I will give you a step by step tutorial.

1) Download the latest version of DDU. Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 16.1.0.0 . Scroll down to Download Locations and choose Download Version 16.1.0.1

2) Download the AMD driver because you can´t do that in save mode (no internet connection)

2) Open it with ZIP and click on DDU v16.1.0.1.exe,

3) Click on Display Driver Uninstaller.exe

4) The Software will start. Choose the start option "save mode (recommended)"

5) The Computer will boot in save mode. The DDU window appears automatically. On the top right corner of the Window is your GPU-Manufacturer (AMD in this case). Check, if the software indicate that correctly

6) Start the uninstaller. The Computer will restart automatically

7) Install the driver you´ve downloaded before.

8) Restart the Computer

I hope it works !

Greetings