I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 5870 in my PC and am trying to figure out what the optimal driver to use for it is.
- The site offers the WHQL certified Catalyst Software Suite version 15.7.1 which according to the release notes includes the 15.20.1062.1004 Catalyst Display Driver.
- They also offer the beta Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta version 16.2.1 which includes the 15.301.1901-160226a-299900E display driver.
I currently have the 16.2.1 Beta driver installed as from my understanding of version numbering, the display driver version number is more recent than the WHQL one.
However, in the Radeon Settings software, when I check for updates it offers the following:
- 16.15.2211-160321a (WHQL) display driver
- 16.15.2111-160314a (Beta) display driver
Now from my understanding, these drivers are not compatible with the HD 5xxx series and so it's just an oversight and the software shouldn't be offering them to me. Is that correct?
So my questions are:
- Are the updates offered in the Radeon Setting "Check For Updates" compatible with my HD 5870?
- If not, should I be using the WHQL 15.7.1 (15.20) or the Beta 16.2.1 (15.301) driver from the site?
Thanks very much in advance! My current best guess is that the Beta 16.2.1 is the best driver to use, but I look forward to your input.