AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX480 crash in games, no crash in Burn-In Benchmarks (Furmark)

Question asked by hedaurabesh on Jul 22, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 by hedaurabesh

Hi everyone.

I have a very curious problem with my Radeon RX480. Actually, the same problem with two separate cards (Sapphire and Asus, both the reference model).

First, the specs of my system:

• ASUS Radeon RX 480 8GB - Reference model (Same problem exists with Sapphire version)
  • Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ stock speeds, undervolted to 1.3V
  • ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi
  • 8GB DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 RAM (Corsair)
  • Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock 600W Power Supply
  • Monitor connected via DisplayPort cable
  • Windows 10 Pro

Now on to the weird stuff. The system is usually rock stable. With my previous card -- a Sapphire Toxic R9 270x -- the system runs crash-free, no matter what I throw at it.

Unfortunately, when I install the RX480, the system seems absolutely stable at first -- but the moment I start a game (Overwatch, DotA 2, Hearthstone, Civilization V), the system has between 10 and 60 Minutes, until it crashes. I experience first a black screen with the sound continuing, followed in 5-10 seconds with the entire PC hard-crashing.

The same thing happens when I watch HTML5 hardware accelerated Web Video (Youtube, Twitch, etc.). First the screen turns black, then 5-10 seconds the sound stops and the OS crashes and 10 seconds after that, the PC reboots.

But when I run Furmark, or stress the CPU & GPU with OpenCL tasks via BOINC (mostly Seti@Home), the system is absolutely stable. Even after 4 hours of Furmark burn or OpenCL torture, the system shows no crashes.

Similar when I just keep the system running in idle.

I also ran Memtest86+ to verify that there are no RAM issues. Even after 12 hours of RAM checks, no errors are reported.

I have cleaned the driver install and reinstalled them from scratch.

What could it be? I doubt it is the PSU, since the R9 runs stable (and uses 2 6-pin connectors over the same physical cable). For the same reason, I also doubt that it's the rest of the hardware. Additionally, 2 RX480 cards show the same behaviour on that system.

As for the temperatures, the GPU fan tops out at about 50-60% load and keeps the card at 80-90°C -- the R9 was 60-70°C in the same hull. Even playing with an open chassis does not prevent the crash.

If you need sensor data from the card, I have attached a dump taken with GPU-Z, that was running while I watched a DotA2 match via SourceTV inside the game. The second-to-last line is the last "in-game" measurement. the last one is when the crash is underway (i.e. the screen is already black).

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

Outcomes